PDA

View Full Version : best way to speed up the 'processing' part of operation

jasonnaylor
November 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Hey all (especially Chris but aimed at anyone that can help),

I don't really have a problem with any of the timings and photo taking, and the transfer of the images from Camera > PC is actually pretty bloody quick, i.e. with the camera settings at Small JPG the image appears on the harddrive almost instantaneously.

However the 'processing' phase (green processing bar) of the operation tends to be a little longer than I would have expected, i.e. the compilation of the 2x2 output. This takes 5-10 seconds and ideally I would have thought it would be much quicker.

What steps can I take to make this happen a little quicker? Is it a fairly CPU / RAM intensive operation? Is it in any way related to my choice of printer and printer output, i.e. if I select a smaller paper size or something, will it be reduced? Is there a quick win somewhere here?

Thanks,

Jason

Chris Breeze
November 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM
It is fairly processor intensive, but most laptops with at least 1GB of RAM should process the images in a few seconds. Using the lowest size/quality settings that give acceptable results for the photos and the printed output will help. Setting the printer to 300dpi instead of 600dpi will quarter the number of pixels to be output and will take less time to process with virtually no difference in output quality.
I know a number of people use netbooks for photobooths and are happy with the results but they are significantly slower than a budget laptop with a 2GHz processor.

jasonnaylor
December 1st, 2009, 12:00 AM
Cheers Chris. I'm actually using a Dual Core Intel CPU with 2G of RAM. It's a pretty beefy system for something running PSRemote and not a lot else! :)

I'll check the Image size and particularly the Printer output options again.

J

jasonnaylor
December 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Bingo. Printer output size and resolution was far too high - scaled back to 300dpi and actually specifying the correct paper size and it processes the image in
Thanks.

J