PDA

View Full Version : NKRemote / Photobooth Stability?

uphid
December 2nd, 2009, 09:22 PM
I've recently built a photobooth, and I'm using NKRemote I've run into an issue, and I wanted to know if any of you encountered something similar...

I'm using an Acer Aspire 1 Netbook, Nikon D300 / SB-600, Sony UP-CX1 printer, Stealth Switch (1, not 2)

Here's what happens: Sometimes (infrequently), the program will abruptly "disappear" after the first shot in full-screen photobooth mode. The camera still reports "PC", as if it's connected. I suspect that the problem may not actually be NKRemote, but perhaps the Stealth Switch forcibly "cloaking" it.

I check the task manager, which doesn't indicate the NKRemote is running. However, the camera still reports PC...

I ran my booth on it's first trip this weekend. At one point, it would "die" after the first shot in the series each time. I rebooted the netbook, but the problem reoccurred. In desperation, I dropped full screen mode and just used F4 to launch manually. It worked just fine. Later in the evening, I switched back to full screen once more.

I suspect that the problem may be when people would "mash" the Stealth Switch repeatedly. Any thoughts on what may be my trouble?

Oh, one usability suggestion: My netbook and external monitor run different resolutions. To make it work right, I have to switch to the external (so I'm staring at a black screen), then switch to full screen mode by keyboard shortcut. Perhaps an option to "launch full-screen on second monitor"

Chris Breeze
December 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
I think it is unlikely that the StealthSwitch is causing problems. This should be easy to test by running the booth using a different trigger method.

The stability problem may be a computer, cabling or USB problem. Long or poor quality USB cables can cause reliability problems. Some laptops don't have enough power to run the USB ports properly when running from batteries and this can cuase problems. Often the same laptop is fine when using a mains adaptor.