PDA

View Full Version : manual/traditional shutter release

stillmation
December 8th, 2009, 03:58 PM
My booth build is only planned for over the holidays as time is limited right now but I'm just wondering...
Can I still run the photobooth software whilst using the camera more traditionally, tethered but with me operating the camera for the sequence of shots.

Interact with the people, fire off 4 shots and then the software produces the layout and print as if in a booth.

Just wondering because the venue I use, I use on a regular basis and I can set up a semi-permanent studio there.

Rob

Qapla
December 9th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I have a Stealth Switch that triggers the camera. I usually have this on the floor inside the booth for them to step on to start the sequence.

However, one event I did had conditions such that the normal setup would not work (the ground was too uneven for the switch to work properly, especially when people kept kicking it around - and it was too dark for them to see the switch)

To solve this problem, I just put the switch on the table that holds the printer right next to the booth. This is the table I sit at, when I am sitting, to tend the booth. When the people entered the booth, I talked them through getting ready for the shots, and when they were ready, I simply pressed the switch with my hand.

The guests had fun and everything worked just fine.

Of course, my camera is mounted inside the booth. If you want to hold the camera, you could still point it at them while letting the software operate the shutter. Just put a switch where YOU can trigger it and make sure you keep a mental count for when the camera will fire or place a monitor where you can see the countdown.

Chris Breeze
December 9th, 2009, 07:51 AM
There's a special mode in NKRemote and DSLR Remote Pro's photobooth shooting which lets you take individual shots triggered from the camera and have them printed out. To use this set the number of shots to 1 and then enter fullscreen mode. With NKRemote you need to turn off the live view in the photobooth settings otherwise you can't use the cameras controls to take pictures. With DSLR Remote Pro you can either turn off live view in the photobooth settings or enable live view on the camera. Of course this will only allow one photo per print.

I also have potential new product which would allow hot folder printing with the photobooth print layout options.

Another thing I'm experimenting with is the Kensington Wireless Presenter for triggering the photobooth. The left/right buttons would be used to adjust the exposure, the red pointer button to trigger the sequence and the stop button to cycle through the number of copies to print. This would provide a neat way of allowing the booth operator to control the booth.

stillmation
December 9th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Ok, thanks for the pointers guys.
A couple of good options there. I like the idea of controlling the booth myself too, or in this case, ''studio'' . I could even run the software as intended and have the live view shown via the Video out onto a larger screen that can be hung behind me.

Chris, thanks for the tip on the single shot mode. I'm right in thinking that any template won't be applied to this single print though? Ideally I would want logo/name of event on all prints, including those shot in this single frame mode.
The hot-swap folder plans sound like the templates would be applied though so it's good to know that is in the pipeline.

I've done similar in the past, even more manually. Tethered shooting, dumping files to a folder that Photoshop is performing actions on to add templates and print. A more delayed situation that requires people to return to collect their prints.

Looks like I've a few avenues to explore and experiment with here.
Now, i just need to decide which license to buy! For Nikon of Canon... For this open booth of studio situation I can use my D3, for the booth I'd opt for the Canon 1000D..