PDA

View Full Version : Access Violation Error - Vista SP 1

geecee
December 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I see others have had similar problems but can't find an answer in the forum.

I was using BBPro 1.8.1 today when I found the program would crash with an Access Violation Error if I double clicked certain thumbnails. This would only occur on some TIFF images. No problems with Canon CR2 files or JPEGs although I don't have many JPEGs. It has not happened before today.

I upgraded to 1.9.4.1 only to have the same thing happen. I even paid for the upgrade.

I have AVG 9 anti-virus (paid version) and Vista firewall. I rolled back Restore Points to before the last AVG upgrade but still had the problem.

Can someone please help?

DavidB
December 12th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Chris doesn't usually post at weekends, but some pointers may help.

Access violation errors seem to plague image handling applications, and can have a number of causes. The fact that the program works with most images tends to suggest that the issue is not the program as such, or with the OS, but with the image files. Often, the problem seems to be with image metadata rather than the pixel data as such.

Images can and do get damaged for no very apparent reason, and, annoyingly, the damage is often not apparent until you open the image, maybe months or years after the damage occurred. If you have a usable, old backup of the problem TIFFs, you could try restoring some images to see if that helps. Alternatively, you could try opening and re-saving the images in another application (I use Irfanview, which seems to be less sensitive to damage than some other applications). You could also send a problem image or two for analysis to Chris at [email protected].

Hope this helps.

David

geecee
December 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks David. I think (hope) I've fixed it. I uninstalled BBPro and then reinstalled. Seems to be OK now.

In case someone is interested, some background. It all started when I was using a totally unrelated program called uniCSVed. It's a freeware CSV file editor. This program crashed because it didn't like a file I was trying to manipulate. BB was running at the time and I was forced to close it down in a non-standard way. This might have corrupted something. I noticed a problem with my backup program shortly afterwards but it settled down.

There might have been something in the individual image files too as by opening them in another program or by proofing them in BB they became responsive to BB. This proved rather tedious so I reinstalled.

Graham

DavidB
December 13th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Thanks for that, Graham. I'm glad the problem was resolved.

The uninstall would appear to have removed (probably) library files that were damaged, and the reinstall replaced them with good ones. It is odd that the compromised installation worked with most images; I suspect that the damage may have related to parts of the file structure (e.g. metadata tags) which were not present or were in some way unproblematic in all but a minority of files.

Alternatively, you may have had TIFFs of different formats; TIFF is not so much a file format in itself as a 'wrapper' for different formats and types of compression. As different programs manipulate files, it is all to easy to end up with, say, a mix of compressed and uncompressed TIFFs without actually knowing it.

At the end of the day, however, the format cannot be the root problem if a clean install of BB Pro resolved the issue. You can now contemplate with pleasure all the new camera models you can now buy because your version of BB Pro supports them!

David