PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Home Premium 64

p_thilqvist
December 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hi..

Ever since I changed computer and got Windows 7, Breeze Browser 1.9.4.1 crashes every time I try to batch process tiff files to jpg files..

Is there a hotfix anywhere or something other I can do, because this is anoying!...

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards from Denmark
Palle

ps. my computer is a HP Pavilion dv7 with the original configuration

DavidB
December 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
If you installed Windows 7 as an upgrade (that is, you did not do a clean install on a newly formatted hard disk), it is possible that the process broke something in your BB Pro installation. Chris has stated that BB runs fine on Windows 7, so a hotfix as such is presumably not planned.

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling BB Pro. Normally this will preserve your program settings, but you might want to back them up (together with any bespoke template files you have created) before you uninstall.

Even if this doesn't work, it is a necessary first step to finding a fix.

Hope this helps.

David

p_thilqvist
December 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hi DavidB

No I didn't install windows 7 as an upgrade..

Have tried to uninstall BB Pro, shut down the computer, install BB pro with a newly downloaded file.

Afterwards I tried to make the same "conversion" from Tiff to Jpg, an after 6 (out of 20) pictures, BB Pro crashes again..

So I'm sorry, but on my system/windows 7, BB Pro runs like s...

So yes is necessary to finding a fix!!

I have also tried to restart the computer in errosafe and there it works fine, but this is no option (restarting in errorsafe) everytime I have to convert, watermark or make a gallery, because I use BB Pro several times every day..

:0) Palle

Dave H
December 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
What happens if you try and run it using windows compatibility mode.
I had terrible problems with Win7 64

Try the end posts of this link, for my fix. (Hope this link works)

http://www.breezesys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3501&highlight=Dave&page=2

Dave H

p_thilqvist
December 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Hi Dave

Thank you for the tip.. But not even win95 (ore some of the other win modes) will work for me..

Still 2 maybe 3 pictures and then a crash..

My workflow:

Canon EOS 7D raw files converted in Lightroom to 8 bits 3888x3888 pixel Tiff images.

The Tiff files converted in BB Pro
http://www.ctfoto.dk/images/bbpro_proofs.jpg

and afterwards to medium size jpg (from the same tiff file) with watermark

So hmm.. don't know what to do....

;) Palle

joemontana
December 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
This is peculiar.I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on my two computers, it runs great!

What happens if you try and run it using windows compatibility mode.
I had terrible problems with Win7 64

Dave H

Chris Breeze
December 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
The most likely cause of the problem is corrupted shooting data in the TIFF files. Some apps attempt to copy the EXIF shooting data together with the Canon MakerNote when they save images but end up corrupting the MakerNote. Do you get the problem with raw files converted to TIFF by BBPro or is it just raw files converted to TIFF using Lightroom?

p_thilqvist
December 24th, 2009, 07:13 AM
hi..

I have always used (or for the last year) used lightroom with my raw files, and had no problems when using windows vista. First when I started windows 7 the problem came. So I don't think it has anything to do with the shooting data corrupted..

By the way. My BBPro down support canon eos 7D files so I can't even test it.. :)

Best regards Palle

Chris Breeze
December 24th, 2009, 08:41 AM
You can check whether the MakerNote section of the shooting data has been corrupted by looking at the image properties in BBPro. If items like the custom functions, lens zoom range and other detailed settings contain nonsense values then the MakerNote is corrupted. BBPro v1.9.4.1 won't display 7D custom functions, but the next release will show these. It will also display the focus point overlay for the 7D and include 7D raw conversion.

p_thilqvist
December 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Hi Chris

Both the Makernote for canon EOS 1D III and 7D seems to work just fine, so this isen't the problem I think.

http://www.ctfoto.dk/image/bbpro2.jpg

http://www.ctfoto.dk/image/bbpro3.jpg

Looking foreward to the next release og BBPro :D

Best regards
Palle

p_thilqvist
January 10th, 2010, 10:54 AM
After the new release BBP 1.9.4.3 I thought that my problems was over..
But still when batch conversion of tiff files 5184 x 5184 to jfg files 5184 to 5184 pixel, BBP crashes after conversion af a few files..

My Workflow:
Pictures from Canon EOS 7D
Raw files imported in Lightroom 2.6 64 bit
Rawfiles converted and exported from Lightroom to folder as large tiff files size (5184x5184)
Tiff files converted to large jpg (as above) and then BBP crashes..

All workflow afterwards is depending on BBP, when making galleries, converting to smaller files to use on the web and html page generating.
But as it is now it's impossible for me to make anything af the above with BBP..

Any suggestions??

and yes I have tried to uninstall BBP, restarting the computer and installing BBP again, but still the same problem...

DavidB
January 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
After the new release BBP 1.9.4.3 I thought that my problems was over..
Unfortunately, if Chris hasn't identified the problem, it is rather unlikely that he will have fixed it ...

Raw files imported in Lightroom 2.6 64 bit
LR 2.6 is a very recent release. Could something have changed in the way LR writes the TIFF files? In respect of metadata (which, as Chris indicated, is very often the cause of these crashes), Adobe has been known to make undocumented changes. I'd guess that your LR was updated when you reinstalled it after you changed to Windows 7.

Also, what settings (colour space, bit depth and compression) are you using for the Lightroom export to TIFF? Does changing these settings make a difference? TIFF is specification with many variants, and some may be less problematic than others.

Any suggestions??
I don't think we've yet established whether BB Pro will tend to crash on the same images, or the crashes are more random than that. In the former case, my own experience backs up Chris's long standing advice that metadata should be suspected first. The latter case is potentially more complex. I've known images read perfectly on one occasion but crash a program on the next, so metadata is not ruled out, but there are potential other causes (e.g. Windows resource problems or odd memory conflicts).

BB Pro seems to read the problem files perfectly well. You could try proofing them to JPEG (no EXIF) format, to see if that helps. If it does, that could point to a metadata issue. If it doesn't, there's nothing lost.

David

Chris Breeze
January 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Please can you send some sample files together with the settings you're using in proofs so that I can test it on my Windows 7 64-bit system? Please send them to [email protected].

p_thilqvist
January 12th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Hi DavidB

Yes LR 2.6 is a new release, so maybe this can be the problem..
I have uploaded som samples in tiff to the following link:

http://www.ctfoto.dk/download/chris/ and also the proof settings is uploaded.. (mail also send to Chris)

I tried to proof the 10 files with the proof settings I've just uploaded, and first attempt was succesfull.. Second attempt only 6 pictures and the BBP crashed

Then I tried to proof 50 other files (the rest of the samples of my wife :D), but after 26 files BBP crashed.

So it's not one single picture but more random I think.

But maybe you can find out something with these files / settings..

Best regards from Denmark
Palle

Chris Breeze
January 13th, 2010, 07:07 AM
I think I may have made some progress on this. Please could you try proofing the same images but saving them as TIFFs not JPEGs. If my theory is right proofing to TIFF will work.

p_thilqvist
January 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Chris

I'm not sure I understand..

My workflow is:

eos 7D cr2 files
imported in LR, converted and exported to tiff
tiff imported / opened in BBP and proofs to jpg (with the proof settings I send)

I can proofs from tiff to tiff, but this wont help my workflow??

Just tried the following.

Took the 59 tiff files which was converted from cr2/raw to tiff in LR 2.6
Afterwards in BBP I opened the folder, selected them all and made a proofing of them all to tiff again, with the same settings as in the proof settings file I uploaded yesterday, but with changed format from jpg to tiff (8-bit). no crash so no problem there.

Then I selected the new tiff files and used the same settings as in the uploaded file and after proofing 13 of 59 tiff files to jpg BBP crashes again..

Hope this can help?!

DavidB
January 13th, 2010, 07:29 PM
As I read it, you did what Chris requested, and your test worked as he expected.

David

Chris Breeze
January 14th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Hi Chris

I'm not sure I understand..

My workflow is:

eos 7D cr2 files
imported in LR, converted and exported to tiff
tiff imported / opened in BBP and proofs to jpg (with the proof settings I send)

I can proofs from tiff to tiff, but this wont help my workflow??

Just tried the following.

Took the 59 tiff files which was converted from cr2/raw to tiff in LR 2.6
Afterwards in BBP I opened the folder, selected them all and made a proofing of them all to tiff again, with the same settings as in the proof settings file I uploaded yesterday, but with changed format from jpg to tiff (8-bit). no crash so no problem there.

Then I selected the new tiff files and used the same settings as in the uploaded file and after proofing 13 of 59 tiff files to jpg BBP crashes again..

Hope this can help?!

Yes, it does help, thanks. What it shows is that the problem is related to the writing out of the JPEG files rather than the reading and processing of the source TIFF files. What I believe is happening is that indexing software running on the PC is locking one of the temporary files BBPro creates when writing JPEGs and there is a very small time window where this could cause BBPro to crash. If you run proofs on large files it uses a lot of CPU time and this causes the indexing software to run slower and lock the files for longer. This increases the chances of hitting the conditions which could cause BBPro to crash. I will rewrite that section of code to prevent this from happening.

DavidB
January 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
What I believe is happening is that indexing software running on the PC is locking one of the temporary files BBPro creates when writing JPEGs and there is a very small time window where this could cause BBPro to crash. If you run proofs on large files it uses a lot of CPU time and this causes the indexing software to run slower and lock the files for longer. This increases the chances of hitting the conditions which could cause BBPro to crash. I will rewrite that section of code to prevent this from happening.
As a temporary workaround (and also as a test), would turning off indexing for the drive where the files are located help? Indexing is something of a resource hog in any case, and you do see advice to turn it off if you don't need it (i.e. you don't use Windows search much).

Thanks, for your work on these issues, Chris. Your readiness to resolve problems like this gives us users confidence that BB Pro is a well-supported product.

David

p_thilqvist
January 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hi..

Turned off indexing and some other stuff (hp advisor and solutioncenter, aero peek and so on) but that didn't help at all..
Of 59 files only 7 was converted from tiff to jpg and then BBP crash again..

Best regards and wishes for a nice weekend

DavidB
January 16th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Turned off indexing and some other stuff (hp advisor and solutioncenter, aero peek and so on) ... then BBP crash again..
Pity:(.

If Chris is right, there must be a background service that is locking the files. Did you turn off the indexing service (in Task Manager)?

David

p_thilqvist
January 16th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Pity:(.

If Chris is right, there must be a background service that is locking the files. Did you turn off the indexing service (in Task Manager)?

David

Yes.. Its turned off in control panel - programs - programs and features..
( cisvc.exe isen't active )

DavidB
January 16th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Yes.. Its turned off in control panel - programs - programs and features.. ( cisvc.exe isen't active )
Just to be sure, open Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del, then select Task Manager; I think it's the same in Win 7 as in Vista), then, on the Services tab, check that WSearch (Windows Search) is listed as stopped. Sometimes, services you don't want have to be explicitly prevented from loading at boot time.

David

p_thilqvist
January 18th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Hi David..

All unnessereserely services are as a test stopped..
Used the advice from http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/supertweaks.htm

DavidB
January 18th, 2010, 04:10 PM
All unnecessary services are as a test stopped..
Used the advice from http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/supertweaks.htm
Thanks for the link, which usefully confirms that disabling the feature in Control Panel also stops the service. Pity that this does not provide a fix. The only other candidate I can think of is the Indexing Service (CISVC), but your post indicates that it is turned off. I suppose we'll just have to wait for Chris's new code, to see if that fixes the problem.

David

twmeyer
January 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I have great sympathy for you (see my own Win 7 issues if you want company). In reading the above synopsis of your workflow, I came to wonder why you didn't just re-import the tifs into LR, and proof to jpgs from there? Or export the files as jpgs from LR in the first place? I suspect you add some step in BBP that I missed, but I can't see anything in the proof protocols of BBP that couldn't be done directly from LR... am I missing something?... t

p_thilqvist
January 19th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hi twmeyer

I used BBP for a while now, and the workflow is great.. Using BBP for all of my galleries and also integrated EOS shopping basket with BBP, so thats why I don't want to change.. So it's only because I'm a little lazy and don't want to change... (the step you are missing it's because some of my pictures of models and also some of the ordered photos of horses, need to be changed a little / retouched in Photoshop. So not to loose any data in the picture, I keep them as tiffs, when making any changes in them..

But maybe I should try reimport the tiffs into LR and there change/export them to JPG...

Thanks for your input..

Chris Breeze
January 21st, 2010, 09:05 AM
Please can you try BreezeBrowser Pro v1.9.4.4 beta 1 which can be downloaded from: http://www.breezesys.com/downloads/bbpro1944beta1.exe

This beta release includes the following:

Added raw conversion support for the following camera models:
Nikon D3000, Nikon D5000, Nikon D3X, Nikon D3s,
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, Canon PowerShot SX1 IS, Canon PowerShot G11,
Panasonic DMC-FZ38, Panasonic DMC-G1, Panasonic DMC-GH1,
Sony DSLR-A330,
Pentax K-7,
Olympus E-450, Olympus E-620
Now monitors the current folder for new, deleted or modified files and updates the main view, thumbnail display and slideshow accordingly
Fixed a problem where indexing software on some computers could cause BreezeBrowser Pro to crash when proofing images to JPEG

p_thilqvist
January 26th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Chris

Now the conversion from large tiff files to large jpg files seems to work again! Great!..

But then there is some other problems..

Batch renaming images, makes the images to act like a slideshow and the to dissapear. hm.. I went to another folder and then back to the folder where I was renaming the images, and there they was again.. Strange..

And proofing / preparing images to the gallery I'm using, making them smaller and watermarking them, gets BBP to crash, when I'm using other programs at the same time..

And all of my html templates do not show up in BBP 1.9.4.4 anymore, and I cant find anything in the folder, so I guess they ar lost?

Thats it.. Converting from tiff to jpg seems to work fine again..
Wishing you all a nice day.
Best regards from Denmark
Palle

Chris Breeze
January 27th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hi Chris

Now the conversion from large tiff files to large jpg files seems to work again! Great!..

But then there is some other problems..

Batch renaming images, makes the images to act like a slideshow and the to dissapear. hm.. I went to another folder and then back to the folder where I was renaming the images, and there they was again.. Strange..

This is probably teething problems with the new automatic folder updating. I will look into it and fix the problem in the full release.
You can turn it off in BBPro's preferences (the last checkbox under the General tab).

And proofing / preparing images to the gallery I'm using, making them smaller and watermarking them, gets BBP to crash, when I'm using other programs at the same time..

Can you provide more details please?

And all of my html templates do not show up in BBP 1.9.4.4 anymore, and I cant find anything in the folder, so I guess they ar lost?

Sorry I don't know. Installing a copy of BBPro will not delete any templates, but if you have modified the standard templates they might get overwritten.

p_thilqvist
January 30th, 2010, 09:37 AM
hi Chris
And now I have a lot more speed in converting, proofing, renaming and putting IPTC data to my files..

BBP Don't crash anymore when preparing pictures for my galleries (crashed before, when proofing, rezing and putting on watermarks to my pictures and i the same time using Office word, Lightroom or other programs)

Normally I thought there was a picklist of different templates to use with BBP in HTML page generation / HTML Template, but the list is empty..
So it didn't even overwrite anything, the list empty. ?!

I'm looking foreward to the full release og BBP
Best regards
Palle

Chris Breeze
February 1st, 2010, 07:22 AM
By default BBPro looks for templates in the templates folder in the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\BreezeSys\BreezeBrowserPro\templates). This can be overridden in BBPro's preferences under the "HTML Generation" tab. Please check the setting in preferences and then check the contents of the that folder - it should have one folder for each template.

p_thilqvist
February 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
But didn't change anything..
But I'm able to generate my "default" galleries with the EOS shopping system, so that's enough at this time..

But unfortunately BBP started to crash again yesterday, with exactly the same settings as last week..
So now I'm lost again..

By default I want to give my customers the best possible pictures, with as much data as possible, thats why I generate TIF files in Lightroom and then change them to JPG in BBP. But as it is now I'm starting to generate JPG in Lightroom, so I can skip this action in BBP and then only ues BBP for generating small JPG files with my watermark and Generating my galleries..

Best regards
Palle