PDA

View Full Version : Error Reading File

Jim Z
December 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I've long been a huge fan of Breezebrowser for it's speed in going through new batches of images to quickly compare and select the best of files. I've recently begun getting error messages when viewing. I typically double click on the first image in a folder and use the right arrow key to go to the next and the up arrow to tag unwanted images for later deleting. When going through new, or old CR2 raw files I get sometimes often an error message that reads

Error reading image:G\NewToWork\DUNL_ 003.CR2
Error reading image:G\NewToWork\DUNL_ 003.CR2

The files are there and can be seen in Adobe Bridge etc. It is not confined to one camera body either. If I open later I might see those same images fine and others not. I currently have been doing only my culling with Breezebrowser so haven't updated lately and have been happily using version 1.3.2 as I'm only comparing the large jpegs.

System is XP Pro 32 bit with 4GB ram if that matters. Any help appreciated as I really miss this as my favorite culling tool. I have tried with Bridge open and closed etc in case it was a memory thing but seems to happen either way.

Would updating help or is this unrelated?

Jim

DavidB
December 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
If you're generally happy with the software, updating may not be the best means of solving your problem.

I assume from what you say that you have not recently changed your camera, and that at least some of the files which now give errors have been read by your version of BB Pro in the past.

Does the error message always occur with the same files? If it does, the most likely cause is problems with corrupt or badly formed image metadata.

Adobe, which effectively controls the standard for XML metadata, has from time to time made changes to the way it implements certain metadata tags. If you have opened the files in question in Photoshop/Adobe Camera RAW, settings will have been saved to metadata, and the XMP sidecar file will have been rewritten, perhaps in a form that your version of BB Pro cannot read properly. This problem is most likely to occur if your version of Photoshop is significantly newer than your version of BB Pro. If this is your problem (but probably not otherwise), updating BB Pro may solve the problem. Unfortunately, this is only one of a number of possible causes of problems with metadata.

One thing you could do is send copies of known problem files (with any associated XMP files) to [email protected], so that Chris can advise whether data corruption is the issue. You could also try restoring any backups (particularly older backups) of your files, to see whether the restored files give you the same problem.

Hope this helps,

David

Jim Z
December 26th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks David for the response. I do know it's not the files themselves and either a setting or some other conflict that I just can't see. If I load the program on my other computer I have no problem so I know it's something else. Just wish I could figure it out. When it works as it has for me since the original Breezebrowser it can't be beat as far as I'm concerned when it comes to editing files.

DavidB
December 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I do know it's not the files themselves and either a setting or some other conflict that I just can't see.
How do you know it's not the files? I've actually had situations where a file opens on one occasion and not on another. However, if you can, through your network, successfully open the same copies of problem files on the computer with the 'good' installation (of, I assume, the same version of BB Pro), I'd agree that data corruption is not the most likely cause.

Settings are an unlikely cause, because, if they were, all installations using those settings would have the same problem, and it would be well documented (and fixed) by now.

If you are really sure it's not a data issue, the next step would be to uninstall BB Pro, delete the install folder and Registry keys (with backups of anything, such as your own template folders, that you want to keep), and reinstall. You can still download previous versions of BB Pro from the Breeze website, and they will work with you existing install key.

Hope this helps,

David

Jim Z
December 27th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I have my old computer and my new computer and the problem only on one if that helps..... same program and same files. I did remove the program, run a search for anything with Breeze in it and delete that. Then do a registry clean and reboot. Then do a registry clean again and reinstall. My numbers were still there so somehow I missed something. I'd like to try that again and see if I can find what I missed again. Thanks for you input, it is greatly appreciated.

Jim

DavidB
December 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I have my old computer and my new computer and the problem only on one if that helps..... same program and same files.
'Same' is tricky. A program can work fine in one setup, and be a real pig in a seemingly very similar setup. Likewise, allegedly identical copies of files on two machines can turn out to be anything but identical (that's why I try to keep lots of backups!). Windows, it seems, just too complex an ecosystem for things to remain 'the same' on a machine which is actively used for any length of time. That is why I recommended trying to access 'problem' files through your network (if you have one) and the 'good' installation. BB Pro can access network shares.

I did remove the program, run a search for anything with Breeze in it and delete that. Then do a registry clean and reboot. Then do a registry clean again and reinstall. My numbers were still there so somehow I missed something. I'd like to try that again and see if I can find what I missed again.
The actual settings (which I don't think are your problem, though, as always, I could be wrong) are in the Registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BreezeSystems\BreezeBro wserPro\100

By design, the BB Pro uninstall does not delete them.

David

Chris Breeze
December 28th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Does the problem only occur with certain files and is it repeatable with that file? If so, it sounds as though the file may have been corrupted in some way.

If the file is being accessed via a network can you try copying it to a local hard drive and see whether it is readable? If it is, the problem may well be network related.

Jim Z
December 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Same file, same drive, no network. Fine one time and not the next. Often seems like when using the arrow key to go from one to the next it's every other image and sometimes I can get through 100 before it happens.

It happens on external drives as well as internal.

As I mentioned above, I tried to do a total reinstall by removing and registry clean etc and reinstalling but it still had all my numbers and passwords etc so I just wondered if other settings were remembered and I wasn't getting a truly "clean" install of the program. Do you think doing so might help and if so, where do I remove the info that is retained to do it?

I understand it's difficult because it's random but maddening when it happens.

I don't mind paying for an upgrade if that might help even though I don't need the new features.

Chris Breeze
December 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
It sounds as though the image may be corrupted in some way. Sometimes reading corrupted data can damage other data in the app but not actually cause it to go wrong immediately. Whenever a new problem due to corrupted images is identified I do my best to trap it in BBPro before it can do any damage.

It's worth trying the latest version of BBPro and if it works you can decide whether it is worth upgrading. If it doesn't fix the problem you can uninstall the latest version and re-install your current version (previous versions can be downloaded from http://www.breezesys.com/upgrades.htm)

Jim Z
January 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
Chris and David,
Thank you very much for taking the time to attempt to help. One thing I can assure you is that they are not corrupt files. I can take any one of my cameras from a 40D to a 1DM3 to a 7D, shoot 100 new files that are fine in every way and on every other program I chose to view them in and all is well. I just did this again with files shot just yesterday and downloaded to the hard drive. Same issue after about 10 images.... going to the next I get the same error message when I do not on my other computer with the exact same program. Oh well, the problem as I said is not with BB or the files but I haven't a clue what it is.

Just tried downloading the latest version and bummed to find the same problem. So, it lies somewhere here with my system and I'm at a loss and just don't have the time or any idea of how to fix it so must now use the Canon software, Lightroom or Bridge which works fine for all the images I have but I like so much less.

Again, thanks for your time.

DavidB
January 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Jim

In any given folder, does the error always occur at the same point, or can it vary a bit? If it varies, data corruption is still not impossible, but is very unlikely. If it's always the same images, I still suggest that it's worth getting Chris to check out a couple of files, just to be certain sure.

You've already done a clean re-installation, so I'm pretty much stumped. The error message is not one I would associate with a Windows resource problem or memory conflict. If the messages are coming from the Windows File system, it might be worth running the venerable CHKDSK /F, in case you have a file system error. Your example refers to .CR2 files, and you are using Adobe products, so are there associated .XML files as well? Do you have the same issue with JPEG, TIFF or DNG files? As you gather, I'm scratching around a bit.

David

Jim Z
January 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks David,
I have confirmed it is not the files. It is random and sometimes I can get through 10 images. Go back and begin to go through them again and it might start after only 2 images.... same image I viewed a few minutes ago on the same machine. That is what is so maddening.

On a nature forum I visit I asked the question and a few others have experienced the same thing. One said that if he went to View/Refresh he was then ok. I tried that and was amazed to get through 25 images... was thrilled and then it began again.

Files from new cameras, old cameras, tiffs all will display the problem (haven't noticed it with even large number of jpegs. One folder has 8,000 650 pixel web sized jpegs and no issue there). Unless one believes that I shoot mostly corrupt files that's not it. These files are sent all over the world for publication with no issue so again, it's not the files and something on my system causing it. The are viewed just fine on my other computer with the same version of BB.

One question, when I do a clean install, clean registry and remove anything that says breezebrowser...... When I do a reinstall it still has my serial number and name etc so something is kept where I can't find it to delete. I'd like to find that so I can delete that and whatever else is kept, registry clean and reinstall just for the heck of it before moving on. Can you tell me where to do this?

Thanks again for all your help. I'd say I'll just deal with it until this computer is replaced which I do about every 36 months but that's about 18 months away.

DavidB
January 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
On a nature forum I visit I asked the question and a few others have experienced the same thing. One said that if he went to View/Refresh he was then ok. I tried that and was amazed to get through 25 images... was thrilled and then it began again.
Hmm. Sounds like a file system issue, but whether that's a BB Pro or Windows problem is beyond my ken.

Files from new cameras, old cameras, tiffs all will display the problem (haven't noticed it with even large number of jpegs ... These files are sent all over the world for publication with no issue so again, it's not the files and something on my system causing it. They are viewed just fine on my other computer with the same version of BB.
You convince me. Let's put data issues to one side.

One question, when I do a clean install, clean registry and remove anything that says breezebrowser...... When I do a reinstall it still has my serial number and name etc so something is kept where I can't find it to delete. I'd like to find that so I can delete that and whatever else is kept, registry clean and reinstall just for the heck of it before moving on. Can you tell me where to do this?
The values in question are two of the many in the main BB Pro settings key, which is

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BreezeSystems\BreezeBro wserPro\100

and which you can back up from the BB Pro File menu. On my system, that is the only instance of the registration ID I can find; if Chris has hidden another one for some reason, he isn't going to tell us where it is. :)

In the spirit of your 'just for the heck of it', before you re-run the installer, re-download it, and then run it as Administrator. (EDIT: Oops, you're on XP - I mean an account with administrative privileges, which yours probably is.)

David

Jim Z
January 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks very much for your effort David. I'll give that a go as soon as I can and let you know either way.

Oh yeah, I hooked up a friends external with his files and the same thing happens so that's just one last bit of evidence that it's not a corrupt file issue.

Jim Z
January 3rd, 2010, 04:22 PM
One more thing I didn't mention in case this helps. I can still select any 2,3 or 4 images and do my normal "control z" thing to see the full size embedded jpegs without any issues. Don't know if that helps or confuses more!

DavidB
January 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
I hooked up a friends external with his files and the same thing happens so that's just one last bit of evidence that it's not a corrupt file issue.
... and, perhaps more importantly, indicates that the issue is not with the drive as such (so rule out FAT issues etc.), but with the BB Pro or Windows file access routines, or some combination of the two. It's all Microsoft stuff in any case, as Chris has told us in the past that he uses Microsoft tools to build his software.

David