PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

twmeyer
December 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM
Breeze Browser Pro v1.9.4.1 installed but when I try to launch... nothing (almost).

Task Manager shows multiples of BreezeBrowser.exe*32 opening which I have to individually select and "end process" in order to stop the execution of the futile launch (which would go on fruitlessly if I didn't do this).

Any suggestions? I am suspicious of the *32 after the file extension, in that it may indicate some conflict with the 64bit Windows7 OS. This was a brand new machine, delivered with Vista Home Premium 64 bit, and the first thing I did to it was upgrade to Windows 7. BBpro was the first program I tried to install.

I see that BBpro with Windows 7 should be compatible and that others find no issues at all, but I have found issues with every program loaded so far. Just looking for a little help... t

DavidB
December 31st, 2009, 09:31 PM
If you did an in place upgrade (as I suspect you would be tempted to do on a new machine), something may have gone wrong. The normal upgrade disk allows you to select a clean install (format the hard drive), and in your circumstances this is likely to produce a much more reliable installation.

As with you, the *32 puzzles me, and I'm finding it a bit difficult to devise a web search that picks it up. BB Pro should have installed in the C:\Program Files(x86) folder, and not in C:\Program Files.

I suspect that you have an issue of some sort with the Windows Installer. I would do a new clean install of Windows 7 before you go any further. If you have a manufacturer's upgrade disk that won't let you do this, you will need to contact your manufacturer's support.

Hope this helps,

David

P.S At the risk of asking a stupid question, you did upgrade with the Win 7 64 bit install disk didn't you? Both disks come in the standard upgrade pack and, at least if mine are anything to go by, they are quite easy to confuse. If you have just the one OEM disk from the computer maker, it should be the 64 bit version, but mistakes do happen.

rchuri
January 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I installed BBPro 1.9.4.1 on a new laptop with Windows 7 Home premium 64bit factory installed.

-it installed in the C:\Program Files(x86) folder.
-Task Manager shows 2 instances of BBpro active
-BreezeBrowser.exe*32 460k
-BreezeBrowser.exe*32 16,368k

it rune fine, no problems :)
Bob

DavidB
January 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
-Task Manager shows 2 instances of BBpro active
-BreezeBrowser.exe*32 460k
-BreezeBrowser.exe*32 16,368k
Thanks, Bob. The confusion was all mine; I had assumed that the OP was talking about the Applications tab of Task Manager, whereas the reference (in your case as well) is to the Processes tab, where the behaviour you have noted is identical to that in Vista 64.

I still think that, if the OP is having multiple problems with application installations, a clean install of Windows 7 is probably the easiest and safest option in this case.

David

twmeyer
January 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
BBPro did install in C>Programs (x86).

Given the two days it took for me to get CS4 and LR2.6 installed, I will learn to live with and tolerate Bridge rather than start all over with a reinstall of Win 7. I'll just have to live without BBPro on the new machine.

All other computers will stay XP until they die. By then, I hope Microsoft's Win7 team will have had enough time to make that OS as functionally capable as XP.

I quoted the Task Manager reaction as the only result of the installation of BB Pro.

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. I was, and am, hoping to get something other than "why don't you just start over"... t

twmeyer
January 2nd, 2010, 09:29 PM
The install was "clean" and it is Home Premium 64bit. Thanks for the thoughts already contributed, any more ideas?... t

DavidB
January 2nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
... any more ideas?
Case 1. When you say that Task Manager shows 'multiple instances' of BB Pro opening, there are more than two such instances, even though you only launched the program once. This suggests some kind of install failure. Uninstall BB Pro, delete the install folder, and, if you can, remove as many references to BB Pro as you can find in the Registry. Then reinstall.

Case 2. There are only two running BB Pro processes in Task Manager when you launch, but this is the only sign that the program is running. Try running the program as administrator (right-click on the program icon and select that option). If that doesn't work, and you are running security software, check (via event logs, temporary disabling or whatever) that your security software has not taken a dislike to BB Pro; mine does, and has to be put firmly in its place whenever I reinstall BB Pro. Some people have had to run BB Pro in compatibility mode for an earlier OS; that shouldn't, in principle, be necessary, but it has been so reported on this forum. Failing all that, the reinstall procedure is an option in this case as well.

That should be enough to see you through the weekend. Chris will presumably be back at work on Monday; he may have further ideas.

David

P.S. Win 7 is getting a generally good press (including from Chris), but upgrading is proving to be a bit of a nightmare for a fair number of people. My dealer refuses to sell upgrade copies of Win 7, as they are giving him too many support problems. My own attempt to do an in place upgrade failed at the last stage (I suspect as a result of a driver issue); I'm now going with my better judgement and waiting for a window of opportunity to do a clean install on a rebuilt machine. I hope I have better luck than you.

twmeyer
January 3rd, 2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks David...

The scenario 1 of your two possibles is my case... rapidly opening files that I have to try to keep up with deleting, until it appears to just give up... and the multiple open files all disappear at one time. Very odd.

I tried that one-step-further uninstall you recommend, but got the same results. I was going to run a registry cleaner, but don't want to muddy the waters with yet another set of possible conflicts.

Maybe Chris will have another idea... t

DavidB
January 3rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
The scenario 1 of your two possibles is my case... rapidly opening files that I have to try to keep up with deleting, until it appears to just give up... and the multiple open files all disappear at one time.
Odd, as you say. I can't work out whether this really is a faulty install or something that is blocking the program, like a security application. Or something broken in Windows (though I know you'd prefer not to think about that). Or something the BB Pro software protection system is doing, but only Chris can advise on that.

Maybe Chris will have another idea...
Hope so. Think I've used up all mine

David

Chris Breeze
January 4th, 2010, 10:35 AM
When I run BBPro on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit the Task Manager shows two BreezeBrowser.exe processes for each copy of BBPro running (oddly 32-bit versions of Windows 7 only show one BreezeBrowser.exe process for each copy). The entries also have *32 appended to the end to indicate that they are 32-bit processes.

From your description it sounds as though BBPro has been correctly installed and is starting up normally but that something is preventing it from running properly. One possibility is antivirus or internet security software is interfering with the running of BBPro. Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on your system? There have been reports of this causing a long delay when BBPro starts up (I haven't been able to reproduce this on my system).

Terry
January 4th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Just for information Chris...

Do you have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on your system? There have been reports of this causing a long delay when BBPro starts up (I haven't been able to reproduce this on my system).

I have a Netbook with XP on it that does this (not sure if it has Security Essentials installed) and it takes about 30 seconds for BBPro to fire up, strangely if I close BBPro down and then start it up again it comes back without the delay ???

Terry

Chris Breeze
January 5th, 2010, 08:22 AM
This could just be that it takes time to load the program and to read the directory structure and contents. The second time you run it the data is probably cached in RAM and is read much faster.

twmeyer
January 6th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Not running Security Essentials. I am using CA Internet Security Suite 2010. Just to give you an idea, the machine has 8Gb of ram and launches CS4 in about 5 seconds... LR (with CS4 open) launches in about 6 seconds. Should I try to start BBP and just let it go for a while? Makes me nervous to see all that.exe activity in Task Manager... t

(and thanks for anything you can think of... my entire DAM workflow is structured around BBP and has been for years)

twmeyer
January 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Cleaned all traces of BBP from C drive, new download, installed again and tried launching from the .exe file in Programs folder... got this: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the sxstrace.exe tool for more details"... t

twmeyer
January 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
No solutions... t

DavidB
January 13th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Suggest you search the net on the error message. This seems to be an error associated with Microsoft programming apps. (which Chris uses). My guess, as so far only you have reported this particular error, is that somehow you have a wrong or incompatible .dll in the run time library which BB Pro is using. Either the install may have failed in some way or another app. may have installed a problem dll.

Later: I've been reading a bit more on the Web. It seems that the error can occur with any application created in MS programming tools such as Visual Studio. The issue is then to identify the problem .dll, and ensure not only that the correct .dll is in place, but also that it it is properly registered. This is actually more of a Windows than an application issue. There is a suggestion that you could open an elevated Command Prompt (right click on its start menu icon and select 'Run as Administrator'), and issue the command 'sfc /scannow'. This often fairly lengthy process checks that all the protected Windows system files are where they should be. It isn't a guaranteed route to a fix, but it's a useful diagnostic.

Hope this helps.

David

twmeyer
January 14th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I'm on it. Thanks David... t

twmeyer
January 14th, 2010, 12:39 AM
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"... sigh.

Chris Breeze
January 14th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Cleaned all traces of BBP from C drive, new download, installed again and tried launching from the .exe file in Programs folder... got this: "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the sxstrace.exe tool for more details"... t

Please try installing BBPro v1.9.4.3. This includes the Microsoft VC++ 2005 Redistributable Libraries and should fix the problem with the side-by-side configuration. Alternatively you can install the VC++ redistributable libraries separately using Microsoft's installation package which can be download from http://www.breezesys.com/downloads/vcredist_x86.exe or from Microsoft's website.

twmeyer
January 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'll try that this evening... t

twmeyer
January 17th, 2010, 09:44 PM
That did it. Amazing. Thanks Chris, everything seems to be working very well. Batch renaming, sorting, moving, tagging files, opening to CS4... just great, thank you so much.

I really use BBP in such an intuitive way now, that I was really feeling lost without it. Thank you, again... t