PDA

View Full Version : faster photos wanted

Rhkfilm
January 18th, 2010, 08:21 AM
I love dslr remote pro for mac but I am finding the latency between shots too long. The camera can take 8fps on it's own, but when connected to a computer with DSLR Remote Pro I can only seem to get 1 shot off every 15 seconds. Any way to speed this up! I can't accomplish what I had hoped to accomplish with the program as my time lapses are lapsing too much time!

Chris Breeze
January 21st, 2010, 08:50 AM
When shooting time lapse shots controlled from a computer the current image has to be saved before the next one can be taken (due to the way the Canon libraries work). The minimum interval between shots depends on the shutter speed, file size and speed of the computer.
I've just tested it on my 2.16GHz Core Duo MacBook Pro shooting raw files from a Canon EOS 7D and it can take time lapse sequences with a shot approximately every 4 secs. I hope this helps.

Rhkfilm
January 28th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi,
Thanks, I confirmed that I am able to get the same latency between shots. I was erroneous in reporting 15 before, sorry about that.
I'm hoping to take 1-2 shots/seconds (or even the 8 shots/second advertised by Canon) in order to reach the results I need. I'll mess around and see if I can get a combination of settings to accomplish it using DLS Remote Pro.
Perhaps Canon built-in the ability using the bulb mode or something when saving to the camera only?

Chris Breeze
January 29th, 2010, 07:50 AM
When the camera is triggered from the PC it has to save the current shot before the next shot can be taken and this limits the maximum shooting rate. If you use the camera's shutter release the camera buffers the shot and does not need to wait for the shot be saved before taking the next shot. You can shoot at any rate up to the camera's maximum shooting rate by triggering it from the camera's shutter release button or the remote release socket. If the shooting rate is faster than the download speed the camera's buffer will gradually fill and will eventually slow the shooting rate.

ECCotterman
February 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I got up to one shot per 3 seconds here.

Canon 350d
SanDisk Ultra II 2gb card

Im not sure what the transfer rates are, but the only problem I had was I needed to set it to 'Save to PC' rather than using both. For what I wanted to do, 1 every 3sec was fine.

I was bummed about it constantly auto-focuing for each shot though. Had to set it manually and let it go. That and I think at one point (2 updates ago...) I took out the card and was shooting directly to my laptop. Otherwise it would get bogged down and just stop shooting altogether. (I assume it was because the buffer got filled up.)

C.