PDA

View Full Version : BBPro 'tagged' --> Bridge

January 18th, 2010, 07:32 PM
quick question - If I tag images in BBPro, is there a way to sort these tagged images in Bridge? And if not, what's recommended method (tag, rank, something_i_haven't_thought_of).

REASON - I use BBPro to cull the photos and tag the good ones. I'd like to see these in Bridge so I don't have to reinvent that wheel.

Regards,
MarkB
Ottawa, IL

DavidB
January 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
quick question - If I tag images in BBPro, is there a way to sort these tagged images in Bridge? And if not, what's recommended method (tag, rank, something_i_haven't_thought_of).

Quotation from BB Pro help:

BreezeBrowser Pro rankings can also be copied to the XMP data in images where they can be read by Adobe Bridge. To do this select File->Image Rankings->Export Rankings to Adobe Ratings.Using BB Pro rankings and then exporting them would appear to give you what you require.

David

January 19th, 2010, 12:03 AM
David,
Appreciate the fast reply. Here's another method I stumbled upon:
BBPro
-Select all my tagged images,
- Edit | Keywords (I added the word 'tagged' to my tagged pics)

Open Bridge
- expand the 'keywords' FILTER on the left of the screen
- select my 'tagged' keyword and viola! There's the pictures I wish to print.

Regards,
MarkB
Ottawa, IL

DavidB
January 20th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Here's another method I stumbled upon:
BBPro
-Select all my tagged images,
- Edit | Keywords (I added the word 'tagged' to my tagged pics)

Open Bridge
- expand the 'keywords' FILTER on the left of the screen
- select my 'tagged' keyword and viola! There's the pictures I wish to print
This is a rather interesting approach, because there are two, equally 'correct', views one can take of it.

The first view is that, if the method works for you, you have no need to do anything else. The second is that you are using keywords in a non-standard way, and the method is therefore to be discouraged (or, in the word so beloved of standards writers, 'deprecated').

I guess that you'd wonder why an ordinary user should worry about compliance with standards, which must seem nit-picking and bureaucratic. The answer is that metadata standards have become a commercial battleground between, for example, Adobe and the camera manufacturers, and we users have lost out in the resulting trench warfare.

Why should it be necessary to have a new release of BB Pro (or any comparable software application) every time someone releases a new camera? Because camera makers won't comply with published standards, that's why. They have even gone as far as turning EXIF (which they sponsor) into a 'standard' which actively prevents standardisation. By contrast the IPTC data set, which includes keywords, is the only commonly used metadata standard sponsored by a user, rather than a producer, organisation, and provides clear, published guidelines while still allowing a sensible measure of flexibility. I'd argue that it makes sense for users to respect the IPTC set, and also use whatever buying power they have to support products (like BB Pro) which also do this - something, incidentally, which AFAIK no popular make of camera does at present.

With these points in mind, I'd tend, as a matter of personal preference, to use the following procedure

In BB Pro

select tagged;
press Ctrl+ to give the tagged images the same ranking;
select File|rankings|export rankings ...

In Bridge

Select images by rank

This has the advantage that you can easily have different selectable groups in a single folder, and it leaves keywords for use as intended. It's also probably a little quicker than your method.

I hope this is of interest.

David

February 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
David,
Sorry for delayed response. Buried at work and also learning to use Mark IV. Thanks for response and guidance. I've used your recommended method and being a keyboarder, appreciate the shortcuts.
Regards,
MarkB
Ottawa, IL