PDA

View Full Version : HTML page advice needed.

Justin
February 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if it's possible to do the following;

What I'd like to do is create an HTML page using the Black template but I'd like to have a brief description of the image underneath the main image, i.e. the subject name.
I presume one way of doing it is to edit the IPTC data and put my chosen text in the Document title box, but how would I get this info to show underneath each main image (not the thumbnails)?

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks

DavidB
February 3rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
What I'd like to do is create an HTML page using the Black template but I'd like to have a brief description of the image underneath the main image, i.e. the subject name.

I presume one way of doing it is to edit the IPTC data and put my chosen text in the Document title box, but how would I get this info to show underneath each main image (not the thumbnails)?

Firstly, do read the help page on creating and editing templates, then, in the BB Pro templates folder (which by default is located under the BB Pro programs folder) copy the contents of the Black template folder to a new folder with a name such as 'Black with caption'.

If you are not that familiar with HTML, generate a small test gallery with 3 or 4 images from the black template. Then, using Notepad or a text or HTML editor, edit one of the main image display HTML files (there will be one for each image), so that it displays the kind of text you want in the place that you want it. With several files to play with, you can do as much damage as you like; it's only a test gallery, to be deleted when you are done with it.

Once you know how to amend the HTML file, edit the fullsize_template.htm file in your new gallery folder in the same way as you edited the test HTML page. You will notice that, in the template file, there are tokens instead of actual data; BB Pro will interpret these tokens when it generates the pages. In the same way, you don't insert the actual text of the description in the template, but the token for whichever IPTC field you have used to store the description. There is a full list of HTML tokens in BB Pro help.

I hope that these pointers are enough to get you started.

David

Justin
February 4th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hi David,

Thank you very much for your help. It worked a treat :)

DavidB
February 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you very much for your help. It worked a treat :)
Thank you. That's good to know, because your question does come up from time to time, and I can now confidently link to this thread.

David