PDA

View Full Version : Image Printout Not Centering

G-man2
February 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Looking at the double strip raw jpg it looks perfect, but when it prints out on the Sony UPCX1 it appears to be off center and have more of a margin on the left hand side. This only started in the last few months. Makes having perfect strips kind of tough.

Is there a setting I might be missing somewhere?

Chris Breeze
February 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I suspect what is happening is printable area reported by the printer is larger than the actual page to allow borderless printing and that this isn't quite centered on the page. You can adjust for this by either adding a left.jpg image to push the automatic layout to the right by the required number of pixels or by using the custom layou option.

G-man2
February 8th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hmm... Thanks Chris for your quick response. It's so strange that it just started happening when I was working on a horizontal layout and then switched back to a virtical one. I reset the printer to factory reset in the settings and now I have this offset. Maybe someone using this printer might have an idea?

Once again thank you for your help.

yachtboy
March 12th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I'm getting this too on the UPCX1. I made a custom layout with a 24 pixel border around all the shots and it looks perfect on the jpg but it's off on the print itself. What I get is that the 24 pixel border is missing from the top and right side and about 1 or 2 pixels of it is visible on the left side.

Picasa's picture settings tell me that the print is 4.3 x 6.3 and 291.0 dpi. Measured with a ruler, the actual print is indeed 4 x 6. That's about an 87 pixel difference--the print is definitely NOT 87 pixels off.

I'll play around with this and see if I can figure out something that works. My guess is that it's roughly 25 pixels oversized all around and a few pixels off center to the right.

Jason

snapshot
March 12th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Yeah, the UP-CX1 reports the printable area larger then it actually is. I think this is done so that it ensures a borderless print. However, this has the effect of cropping some of the photo on each side.

You simply need to account for the cropping when designing your custom layouts. This will make the .jpgs not look as nice as before (they will have wide borders), but will provide a nicer looking printout.

yachtboy
March 12th, 2010, 03:24 PM
The problem when printing double strips is that I can exaggerate the left side so that I get the border that I want on the left, but I end up with the center space between the two strips being twice the size I want it to be. There's no way to better center the pictures.

For example, I added 24 extra pixels to the left side of my existing 24 pixel border, so now my settings are:

left: 48 pixels
top: 48 pixels
width: 528 pixels--with the 48 pixel border, this gives me the desired border on the right side of the print.
height: 0 (to let it automatically calculate--height is actually 396)

Since the printer is stealing 24 of my 48 pixels from the top and sides, I get the 24 pixel border I want on the top, left, and right of the print. But in the center, I have a 96 pixel gap (48 pixels, twice). I want the center to be 48 pixels (24 pixels, twice). How do I do this?

yachtboy
March 12th, 2010, 03:45 PM
More info:

From the PSRemote Print Info (took me a while to find it), the prints are 1248 x 1848 pixels and 106 x 156 mm. This translates into 4.17 x 6.14 prints and confirms what I had already figured out about the printer stealing 24 pixels all the way around from my print. And the dpi on this printer is 300, not 297 as I said before.

Of course, knowing all this doesn't solve my problem...I can't figure out how to get double strips to have the right size gap down the center!

snapshot
March 12th, 2010, 04:08 PM
You can make a double strip layout without using the custom layout feature. Just use the old way of making layouts.

Assuming you are taking 4 photos, set it up as a 4 row, 2 column, with repeat images to fill empty columns. Add a left, right, header, and footer jpgs to properly center the strip and account for the cropping.

yachtboy
March 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Ah, genius! I haven't actually tried that way yet but I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!