PDA

View Full Version : Files marked 'tagged" cleared of tag indicator

rchuri
February 14th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I was reviewing a folder of couple hundred images yesterday, deleting the losers and tagging those I wanted to process in Photoshop.
I ended up with 75 images of which 25 were tagged.

I then went on to do other things and after several hours came back to BBPro.
I had no computer crashes or any errors reported. When I opened the folder with BBPro none of the images were tagged. All the images were present, but the tag info disappeared. I see that the folders contain a 'tagged_files.txt' file, so it seems that file got deleted somehow.
I have never had this happen before.

Any ideas how this could happen?
Thanks
Bob

DavidB
February 14th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Bob

You should be able to open the tagged_files.txt in Notepad, and the file should contain a list of your tagged files. Does it?

If the file is empty, and in the absence of any other indications, my best guess is that you somehow accidentally pressed Shift+Ctrl+N (Tag none), which clears all tags (or caught that option accidentally on the Edit menu). If the file is not empty, I'd need to know what is in it to hazard a further guess.

David

Chris Breeze
February 15th, 2010, 08:21 AM
The list of tagged files is saved when you exit BBPro or view an different folder. You need to take care if you are running two copies of BBPro because the settings will be from the last one to exit e.g. run copy #1 and tag some files, run copy #2 and tag different files, exit copy #1 and then exit copy #2. When you exit copy #2 it will save its changes and the changes from copy #1 will be lost.

rchuri
February 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I do occasionally run 2 copies of BBPro, so my best guess is that's what happened. I opened a second copy of BBPro on the same folder which had no tags and then closed the original copy first.
I never realized that the tagged file indicator can be lost that way.:mad:
Bob

DavidB
February 15th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I checked, and even closing an instance with an unchanged set of tags seems to overwrite the changed tags from the previously closed instance. That's another one to add to the book ...

David

Chris Breeze
February 16th, 2010, 07:03 AM
When you close BBPro it compares the tagged files for the current folder with the saved tags file (tagged_files.txt) and if they are different it updates the saved tags file. Opening two copies of BBPro, tagging with copy #1 and then closing copy #1 followed by copy #2 will result in any tags in copy #2 overwriting tags in copy #1. This is the only logical way for it to work - if copy #2 didn't write its tags (assuming it had a way of knowing not to write them) it would be very confusing.
What I may be able to do in a future release is have BBPro update tagged_files.txt every time a tag is changed (which may have a performance penalty) and then have other copies of BBPro monitor tagged_files.txt for changes and update their tags accordingly.