PDA

View Full Version : Help aligning thumbs in Order Template

Paul Alford
February 21st, 2010, 02:16 AM
I just created a new online gallery using the "order HTML template" and notice the thumbs are auto aligned in the center (I guess). I created a custom background JPG and want to align all of the thumbs (and big images too) more left aligned or at least be able to shift them all over to the left.

Is there an easy way to do this in this code (which I dare not touch). I can open the index template in Dreamweaver but the left/center/right align dont work with this code stuff.

Here is link so you can see... http://www.marilynstevensart.com/Paintings/index.htm

Thanks

Paul

DavidB
February 21st, 2010, 05:15 PM
How easy it is is a function of how comfortable you are with HTML and JavaScript. The BB Pro generator uses both of these at a fairly basic level.

The important thing is not to mess with the original template files, but to make copies you can play with and delete if it all goes horribly wrong. The basic procedure is described in this thread (http://www.breezesys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3599).

In your case, if you have a look at the source code of the index page in the gallery, you will see that the page uses JavaScript to build the table of thumbnails. I'd guess that you'd want that table (but not the thumbnails within the table cells) to be left aligned, probably with some sort of margin. If you experiment with a generated page, you can work out what you need to do to change your new (copy) template.

The design advice I would offer is that you need to think about what will look best (or least bad) on a variety of screen/window aspect ratios and resolutions. Left alignment that is fine on a 4:3 screen may look silly on 16:9, while centring the table may provide the best/least worst compromise. In those circumstances, you can change the size and layout of the thumbnails in the template (some templates have options to do this in the generator) to provide the best 'fill' on whatever screen format(s) you might wish to optimise. Also, looking at your page full screen on my widescreen monitor, it is apparent that you are using a fixed size background for the variable browser window size; backgrounds usually need to be tiled (or perhaps centred) to deal with variable screen sizes. This is another reason for experimenting on generated pages before you try to develop the actual template.

I hope this helps.

David