PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnail Captions

tmomeyer
March 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I would like to include the IPTC description field with or below each thumbnail when generating HTML. There is a box that I checkmarked "Add watermark/captionm to thumbnail image" and in the Thumbnail settings under Watermark Type, I placed "@description@" and Bottom, Center, Vertical offset 30 (and tried 5 and 30). I tried Drop Shadow and several other templates but nothing works. What is are the Thumbnail Settings for? Can IPTC descriptions be added to the thumbnails?

Thanks, Tom

Chris Breeze
March 12th, 2010, 08:59 AM
The option adds text to the thumbnail image and can use tokens to extract information from the shooting data. To extract the IPTC caption you need to use the token @IPTC_caption@.
Please make sure "Reuse existing images" is not set when you change the settings otherwise it won't regenerate the thumbnails.

The other way to add captions to a gallery is to place the text below the thumbnail. There are some examples of how to do this here:
http://www.breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/templates/supplemental.htm

tmomeyer
March 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Chris,

I changed "@description@" to "@IPTC_caption@" and that didn't make a difference - the captions don't show up on the thumbnail page.

When generating HTML, there is a dialogue box with buttons for "Main Image Setting" and "Thumbnail Setting". In the Main Image Setting, the Watermark Type is set to use Text and there is no difference in output whether it is "@description@" to "@IPTC_caption@" the captions show up on the main image. In the Thumbnail Setting, I changed the Text from "@description@" to "@IPTC_caption@" and there is still no captions on the thumbnails. Is there another setting or something I'm missing?

I looked at your other suggestion for additional templates and they say that they allow the file name to show up... but that is not what I'm looking for, I want the caption to show up on the thumbnails.

Thanks, Tom

tmomeyer
March 12th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Followup -

I changed the Thumbnail Settings foreground color to opaque (black) and background to 100% transparency (white) and various vertical offsets from 0 to 30. The thumbnail caption shows up_on the image_ and not below it as they do for the main image. The caption is only partially legible, because it is truncated to fit "on the image".

See thumbnail captions at http://fayewest.ca/west/ui01.htm

Is it possible to have thumbnail captions that are legible below each thumbnail with the entire caption showing?

Thanks, Tom