PDA

View Full Version : Add pics to slideshow as they are taken

jamiebodie
April 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM
How can I add pics to the BB slideshow as they are taken? I would like to set up a monitor on the outside of the booth that scrolls through all the pics that have been taken throughout the night.

Jamie

jamiebodie
April 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Can this be done? How? Help please.

Chris Breeze
April 12th, 2010, 11:13 AM
If you're using the latest version the slideshow built in to BreezeBrowser Pro will update automatically as new pictures are added if the "Monitor folder for changes and update display" option is selected in the preferences.
BreezeBrowser Pro v1.9.3 onwards also have a standalone utility called BreezeViewer which can be used to display a slideshow and will update automatically as new images are added.

jamiebodie
April 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM
I just purchased recently so I assume I have the latest version.

1.9.5.1??

jamiebodie
April 12th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks, I see both options now. Is one option preferred over the other?

DavidB
April 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks, I see both options now. Is one option preferred over the other?
As always, it's your call, but the option to monitor folders

is built in, rather than being a separate program,
works with any current folder, so you don't have to specify the folder,

so I guess, as you have the current version of BB Pro, that that would be the one you'd choose.

David

jamiebodie
April 13th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Thank you.

msatter
June 29th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks Chris, I just used the viewer and have bought an Eye-Fi 8GB Pro X2 and I am using it in my Canon 1D MKII. The 4GB CF in slot one and the Eye-Fi in slot 2 and backup on from CF to SD.

In the configuration program from Eye-Fi I switched off RAW to be uploaded and only JPG is uploaded. I set the camera to raw+small-jpg.

When I take an picture it is uploaded to an specific folder by the Eye-Fi software and that folder is been watched by Breeze Viewer.

Tip for ad-hoc Eye-Fi connection put an fixed IP adress (169.254.0.1) in the settings of windows so the DHCP is overruled and the connection starts now under 30 seconds instead of more than a minute.

By only uploading the JPG is much faster than the RAW which Breeze Viewer does not display. It is not that fast when you begin an series of pictures and there is an delay of 15 seconds in the Eye-Fi software.

On request for Breeze Viewer from me. Please add the possibility to to switch off the automatic rotation of the JPG so I don't have to switch off the automatic rotation on the camera. I put my note book on the side and I use the whole LCD screen for the portrait orientated pictures.

Regards, Marcel

Chris Breeze
June 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM
You could use the slideshow in BreezeBrowser Pro and turn off the option in preferences to "Use EXIF oorientation for display and rotation of JPEGs" (under the "Image display" tab). The slideshow in BBPro will also display raw files if you prefer to shoot in raw only.

msatter
June 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hi Chris, thanks for the reply and I liked that the Breeze Viewer is an separate program.

I have tried now your suggestion to use the slide show in BreezeBrowser and then I have to press the forward arrow to show the new image. It is not show automatically. Update: I have to check tomorrow if "random order" will work for me.

I only send over the wireless network the JPG to save a lot off traffic and instead of sending 8MB the picture is less than 500KB so even on a slow connection it is still working.

On the CF I have the pictures (RAW+JPG) and I download those pictures using Downloader Pro. I separate the pictures by using the {E2} token to put the in JPG in a separate directory [F:\DigitalPhotos\{Y}-{m}-{D} {J}\{E2}].

Chris you are the best because your programs are developed faster than the users can ask for more features. I really like the {E2} solution!!

Some other interesting news is that Wireless USB is now in the shops and I bought an set through the internet in Germany and in a few weeks I can try if this works with the an other camera.
You need external power at the camera to have more power so a battery-pack and some soldering is needed. However it is a lot cheaper at € 50 than the network solutions of Canon.

Best regards, Marcel

Chris Breeze
July 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM
I have tried now your suggestion to use the slide show in BreezeBrowser and then I have to press the forward arrow to show the new image. It is not show automatically. Update: I have to check tomorrow if "random order" will work for me.
If you are using BBPro v1.9.5 or later and set the option to monitor the folder for changes it will automatically add new images to the slideshow as they are downloaded.

Chris you are the best because your programs are developed faster than the users can ask for more features. I really like the {E2} solution!!
Thanks! Feedback and suggestions from users is a big help when deciding what new features to add.

Some other interesting news is that Wireless USB is now in the shops and I bought an set through the internet in Germany and in a few weeks I can try if this works with the an other camera.
You need external power at the camera to have more power so a battery-pack and some soldering is needed. However it is a lot cheaper at € 50 than the network solutions of Canon.
Best regards, Marcel

Sounds interesting. Please post your findings on the forum when you've had a chance to try it as I'm sure a lot of readers, including me, would find this useful.

msatter
July 1st, 2010, 05:05 PM
If you are using BBPro v1.9.5 or later and set the option to monitor the folder for changes it will automatically add new images to the slideshow as they are downloaded.

Thanks! Feedback and suggestions from users is a big help when deciding what new features to add.
:)

Sounds interesting. Please post your findings on the forum when you've had a chance to try it as I'm sure a lot of readers, including me, would find this useful.

I just tried it and it doesn't work for me. I have to wait before the new picture is show because the display order is random. So when I have taken 50 pictures then I can have a tea-brake siting for the computer not taking my eyes of the screen waiting for the picture I took last. ;)

Loop or no loop makes no difference and I understand that because if you loop and have random then the BreezeBrowser have to remember which picture is already shown and not have to be shown again. :D

I will write up my experiences with the Wireless USB in this forum.

Marcel

msatter
July 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM
I just tried it and it doesn't work for me. I have to wait before the new picture is show because the display order is random. So when I have taken 50 pictures then I can have a tea-brake siting for the computer not taking my eyes of the screen waiting for the picture I took last. ;)

Loop or no loop makes no difference and I understand that because if you loop and have random then the BreezeBrowser have to remember which picture is already shown and not have to be shown again. :D

I will write up my experiences with the Wireless USB in this forum.

Marcel

Update: It works now as described by Chris and I was using version 1.95.1 and I have now updated to version 1.95.3. The new picture will now be displayed.

However after the interval time the screen will change to an other picture and I and when the interval time is increased, I have to wait that time before I will see the new picture.

Marcel

msatter
July 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have now found a complicated way to show the JPG not rotated in Breeze Viewer.

I have installed a directory monitor which is acting on new files by running batch file which include Jhead to remove the rotation information in the JPG and xcopy which copies JPG files from one directory to an other while resetting the Archive marker on the source JPG file.
Breeze Viewer is watching the destination folder and displays the pictures in the way I like.

I first tried an Python program called "Eye-Fi server" and it works and I can give an external command to a dosbox to run Jhead however it is much much slower than the software from Eye-Fi self.

It would be nice if I would not need this contraption and there would be an option to ignore the rotation information in Breeze Viewer.

Marcel

TonyGamble
July 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM
Marcel,

It seems our needs may be similar.

I've used BB since I started digital photography around 2001 - but I admit mainly as a quick display/sort facility as I use Bibble for my RAW work. I also bought the DLSR Remote software to work tethered with my Canons.

In March I bought a Panasonic G1 and I am now using it 95% of the time for my fun and paid for photography. I'd planned to see how it went until the end of the Summer and then almost certainly sell my assorted Canon bodies and lenses.

What was holding me back was the fact that I do about six jobs a year that need tethering and they are important jobs. I was expecting to have to retain at least one Canon body and zoom for these jobs alone.

Like you I discovered Eye-Fi and the ad-hoc option with the Pro X2.

As I needed to be portable for my tethering I tried initially with a relatively old laptop running XP. I found the setting up very hit and miss. I then was pointed to Connectify. But this needed Windows 7 and a different wifi chip.

To effect this I upgraded the laptop to Win 7 and bought an external USB wifi stick with the right chip. In the event I have never got Connectify to work and I put this down to the fact that I have switched off the internal wifi and am now going though a 'miniport wifi adaptor' which I gather is a Win 7 device to enable one wifi to do two things at the same time. I don't understand it enough to work out what is wrong.

But I do have a good ad-hock set up on the laptop using the USB wifi - as a result of all my experimenting with Connectify!!

Like you I have forced the address of 169.254.0.1 and sometimes I get connected in around ten seconds.

I download my RAW files and they never take more than five seconds.

I then display them in Breeze Browser. Either in the large screen from the browser or alternatively with the Slideshow.

My G1 is a bit hit and miss as to whether it does rotate so I make the correction with CTL and left/right curser arrow. That works quickly and easily in the slideshow. Yes it it a manual action - but not, for me anyway, an annoyance.

What I need to test is the resiliance of the ad-hoc setting. I am not totally confident that, even though I have marked it 'save' that it always does. Yes, I can recreate it, but it is not the sort of fiddling around that one wants to do on location in front of client.

The USB wifi has a Ralink chip and I have found some Ralink software that seems to allow me to store my ad-hoc profile within it. That might be my solution.

I am well aware that this is a bit OT for the title of this thread. Maybe we should swop any further thoughts by private message or in another thread. But I thought I'd put this message, at this length, in case there are others around getting to grips with Eye-Fi and staying with the splendid BB to display the results.

Tony

msatter
July 3rd, 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Tony, thanks for your posting and I am using my 7 years old laptop with Windows XP home. When you put an fixed IP in the settings for the extra network adaptor it goes very fast. I also made it a not secure connection to maximize the connection speed and the transfer speed (open network).
Also deselect all protocols on the the separate connection so that you only have TCP/IP and no sharing or clients. Just an bare TCP/IP connection in adhoc mode.

I don't think fixed IP in the hardware will increase the connection time and it would be nice if Eye-Fi would implement it in the WiFi card.

My extra USB network adaptor allows to connect an external antenna so if the standard antenna is to weak to receive the signal of the Eye-Fi I connect a directional indoor antenna to increase the reception. I can received RAW files however I don't need them because I only want the see the picture I just took.

I look at the Eye-Fi as semi-tethered because it just sent out the picture(s) that are written in the memory.

One step further is the Wireless USB and that allows to use DLSR remote software. I hope an better result than in the past when I used a Firewire cable to connect to the notebook. The connection was not reliably enough and you have the risk to step on the cable and pulling so the camera out of your hands.

For now I am satisfied with the working of the setup and if Chris will adapt Breeze Viewer so that it will allows to select if a picture will be rotated to the information in the picture or not I can get rid of the third-party software.

I think that I will receive the WUSB adaptors next week and I will try to test them before the end of August.

Marcel

Chris Breeze
July 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I've added an option to disable the auto-rotation of images in the latest version of BreezeViewer. This is included in BreezeBrowser Pro v1.9.5.4 which was released today:
http://www.breezesys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3833

msatter
July 5th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Your are the best!! Many thanks for the added option to BreezeViewer.

ahum...the link to the BreezeBrowser page that you are stating in the update postings leads to the "300 Multiple Choices" page on the site and the correct link is: http://breezesys.com/BreezeBrowser/index.htm ;)

Marcel :cool:

msatter
October 24th, 2010, 04:00 PM
One step further is the Wireless USB and that allows to use DLSR remote software. I hope an better result than in the past when I used a Firewire cable to connect to the notebook. The connection was not reliably enough and you have the risk to step on the cable and pulling so the camera out of your hands.

I think that I will receive the WUSB adaptors next week and I will try to test them before the end of August.

Marcel

I have rented a 1D MKIV for an shoot and have also tested the the throughput with the wireless USB adaptors.

Transfer programme, Downloader Pro 2.2.7

Wireless USB
CF card in Camera --> WUSB --> computer: 3.6 MB/sec
CF card in Lexar card-reader --> WUSB --> computer: 5.9 MB/sec

EyeFi SD Pro X2 8GB
RAW picture 18 MB --> EyeFi --> computer: 1.6 MB/sec

USB cable
CF card in Camera --> computer: 10.1 MB/sec
CF card in Lexar card-reader --> computer: 27 MB/sec

The EOS Utility programme works straight out of the box. Windows 7 64 recognises the camera and I can use all functions and the transfer of a RAW picture takes about 5 to 7 seconds (file size around 18MB).

Some EyeFi times.
Startup camera (1D Mark IV), take picture, connect to AdHoc network on Windows XP takes between 15 and 20 seconds (2 MB JPG).
Started camera (1D Mark IV), take picture, already connected to AdHoc network on Windows XP takes 5 seconds and recursive pictures less than 2 seconds (2 MB JPG).

Firmware EyeFi: v4.2120 released 26 Oct 2010

I any one has tested a WTF please also state your results?

msatter
April 21st, 2011, 10:51 PM
A lot of months later I am totally happy with the functionality of the Eye-Fi with an iPad and WUSB is something for when I need also RAW and video to a notebook or computer.

I am using MyWi on the iPad and the Eye-Fi in the camera. The Eye-Fi sent the JPG (small) directly to the iPad. No router or an other network used.

I could also use now the DirectMode (Eye-Fi) however the initial connect is al lot slower than with MyWi. 18 Seconds for MyWi and + 40 seconds for DirectMode.

During the shoot I or the model can flip through the pictures to look back. I can also check each picture in a few seconds. I am using ShutterSnitch on the iPad.

Breezebrowser and Downloader Pro are still the best for selection and downloading the pictures/videos however in the studio or on location I use the iPad during the shoot.