PDA

View Full Version : XSi not firing PocketWizard

byron
April 23rd, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm creating a photobooth.

When I set it all up and trigger the booth, the XSi does not trigger the PW attached to the hotshoe, everything else appears to function as intended.

If I end the DSLRPro app and hit the shutter buton on the XSi, the PW fires.

???

Am I missing a setting in the software that is disabling the hotshoe while in remote operation???

snapshot
April 24th, 2010, 06:43 AM
This is a known issue when using a non-canon flash.

Here is some discussion about it (http://breezesys.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3603).

byron
April 24th, 2010, 01:13 PM
thanks, I'm off reading it...

I need to do more research before buying I guess :(

First bought a G11 to do the booth since an acquaintance had one running great with a G9 -- newer is better, right :confused: can't do remote

so I bought the XSi -- cant do strobe :confused:

oh well, live and learn...

byron
April 24th, 2010, 01:35 PM
what cameras do you use in your booths?

snapshot
April 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I use G9s. I also have a G10 which works great as well.

byron
April 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM
We have a 1DM3 here in the studio, but that would be a total waste to stick it in a photobooth.

Are you aware of a current source for a G9?

snapshot
April 24th, 2010, 08:54 PM
That would be a bit overkill, but it would probably work. You would have the best photo booth pictures around.

There are a bunch of G9s on ebay. I bought another one off there about 2 weeks ago. They go for around $280.

Chris Breeze
April 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM
You can use mid to high end Canon DSLRs (e.g. 40D, 50D, 5D Mark II, 7D, 1D series) with non E-TTL II flashes if you disable silent shooting mode in the camera's live view settings.

Rebel series cameras don't allow you to change this setting and won't normally fire a non E-TTL II flash when live view is active. There is a way of fooling a Rebel series camera into firing a flash or studio strobe via the hotshoe with live view active:
1) Use a hotshoe extension cord and cut away most of the right hand lug so that when it goes in the hotshoe it doesn't press the pin under the metal strip in the hotshoe on the camera - if the pin is pressed the camera knows an external flash is connected and will only fire it if it is E-TTL II compatible
2) Popup the camera's flash and cover if necessary. This disables live view exposure simulation and prevents the live view images from being too dark

WARNING: If you use this technique you do so entirely at your own risk. The camera is not designed to work this way and there is a risk it may be damaged.

byron
April 27th, 2010, 01:56 AM
this whole course has become somewhat of a debacle.

I gotta learn to do way more reading before purchasing :(

The G11 I bought can't be remoted.

So I registered the DSLR software and ordered the XSi which appeared to recommended in the documentaion as a workable solution for Photobooth...

It can't fire the PocketWizard to activate the overhead strobe when the DSLR software is loaded.

So I now I have a G9 coming from eBay.

WILL THE DSLR SOFTWARE DRIVE THE G9 OR AM I STILL SCREWED?

snapshot
April 27th, 2010, 01:59 AM
You will have to use PSRemote with the G9.

Chris Breeze
April 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
The problem is that Canon have fixed a number of settings in the low end Rebel series cameras which are configurable in the mid to high end models.
If you use ambient light, continuous lighting or an E-TTL II compatible flash a Rebel series camera will be fine. But, if you want to use a more advanced setup with studio strobes or a PocketWizard you need a more advanced Canon camera which allows you to turn of live view silent shooting mode. You can still use a Rebel series camera but you will need to fool the camera into thinking it is using the built-in flash (otherwise the camera's live view exposure simulation will make the live view images too dark) and still trigger the main lighting via the hotshoe.

byron
April 28th, 2010, 02:00 AM
or apparently a cheaper, older point & shoot such as a g9 or g10 I'm now lead to believe :confused:

alexsiskahn
May 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
thanks for the hacking tip Chris.

alexsiskahn
May 3rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
has anyone tried this hack? why the dire warning anyways? as long as you use a safe sync the flash should not cause any damage to the camera, as the camera is just triggering it via low voltage.

aspb
September 18th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Has anyone found a way to disable the exposure simulation on a rebel xs? I have to use the hot show to trigger a strobe, but as soon as you put something on the hot show even with the popup flash up the exposure simulation kicks in!

Chris Breeze
September 27th, 2010, 07:51 AM
You can use this hack described earlier. The key is step #1 which allows you put something in the hotshoe without the camera detecting it.

Rebel series cameras don't allow you to change this setting and won't normally fire a non E-TTL II flash when live view is active. There is a way of fooling a Rebel series camera into firing a flash or studio strobe via the hotshoe with live view active:
1) Use a hotshoe extension cord and cut away most of the right hand lug so that when it goes in the hotshoe it doesn't press the pin under the metal strip in the hotshoe on the camera - if the pin is pressed the camera knows an external flash is connected and will only fire it if it is E-TTL II compatible
2) Popup the camera's flash and cover if necessary. This disables live view exposure simulation and prevents the live view images from being too dark

WARNING: If you use this technique you do so entirely at your own risk. The camera is not designed to work this way and there is a risk it may be damaged.

sspbooth
October 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Wow, I wish I had known about this hack a long time ago..
What exactly are the dangers concerning this? I'm using very low sync voltage strobes..

Also, what's the deal with the G9? Is it capable of having a flash connected to the hotshoe without the exposure simulation issue?

Chris Breeze
October 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I don't think the G9 has the same problem. If you set the G9 to manual exposure and 1/200sec @ f/8 the live view is dark due to the exposure simulation. Then if you put something in the camera hotshoe it will disable the live view exposure simulation and the live view images will be brighter. If you try the same thing with a Rebel camera the live view exposure simulation is only disabled if the built-in flash is popped up.

I don't know whether there is any danger of damaging the camera using this hack. Clearly the camera isn't designed to be used this way and so there may be some risk. OTOH I haven't had any reports of problems.

sspbooth
October 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Escellent, thank you so much for the reply..
is the G9 currently the only camera in the fixed lens models the disables the LVES when something is plugged into the hot shoe? And isn't it just strange that canon didn't do the same with all their lower model cameras...

I'm so glad to know about this hack! I'm going to be trying this out today...
Do you know if it will work with the powershot SX series cameras in the same way?

sspbooth
October 18th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Wow, I sure did riddle that last post of mine with spelling errors..
I'm going to do some more searching about the different camera options and if I can't find an all inclusive post I thought maybe I would start one where anyone who is willing can share their experience concerning any given camera and we can collect the data all in one area.

Hopefully that's not a bad idea...though I may need to just make a post for selfish reasons first as I need to purchase another camera asap.