PDA

View Full Version : Dslr error Unable to release shutter! in Manual Focus mode?

alexsiskahn
May 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
i get this error message some times using a rebel xs camera

Unable to release shutter. This may be because the AF was unable to lock (Dialog will close in 1 sec) OK

the frustrating part is that the camera lens is set to manual focus, happends randomly on two different computers with two different cameras.

rikiboy
May 12th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Low Battery?

alexsiskahn
May 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
nope using ac adapter

alexsiskahn
May 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM
this camera is crap, first it didn't work with external strobes now it popss up these errors randomly. Maybe if I just get rid of live view that will solve things.

Danny Brewer
May 12th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I got the error message:

"Unable to release shutter
This may be because the AF was unable to lock"

using DSLR Remote Pro
Canon Rebel
External Flash
Photo Booth set up

Set up to take 3 photos
SOMETIMES (1 out of 3) if would show this message, not print the image.

Please help. Need to figure out why this is happening.

Danny

Chris Breeze
May 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Which Rebel model are you using?
Please try clearing all the settings in the camera to see if that helps.

djericpr
June 2nd, 2011, 04:57 PM
Im also using a Rebel XS and started getting this problem a few months ago. It happens when subjects are out of focus because they moved away from the dof created by my settings.

I notice that once it starts taking longer from the countdown to the actual camera firing im about to get the problem. Sometimes I even see two camera flash prefires instead of one.

I need to play with the camera settings (ISO, Tv and Av) in order to increase the dof and reduce this problem.

jpmurph
June 9th, 2011, 12:49 AM
How do you have your stobe/external flash hooked up?

Unhook and see if you still get error.

Chris Breeze
June 9th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Im also using a Rebel XS and started getting this problem a few months ago. It happens when subjects are out of focus because they moved away from the dof created by my settings.

I notice that once it starts taking longer from the countdown to the actual camera firing im about to get the problem. Sometimes I even see two camera flash prefires instead of one.

I need to play with the camera settings (ISO, Tv and Av) in order to increase the dof and reduce this problem.

Is the AF/MF switch on the lens set to MF (manual focus)? If it is set to AF and you use DSLR Remote Pro's external flash mode the camera will attempt to autofocus. If there isn't a clear target it can focus on, or it is too dark to focus accurately, the focus may hunt for several seconds and possibly fail to lock and then the camera won't take a picture. Setting the lens to MF should fix the problem.

fortinaa
July 10th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I am having the same issue using a 5dII with a strobe setup. It isn't often, but very annoying. I found that with an AB strobe, the model light isn't bright enough for AF on anything slower than an F2.8 lens. I've opted to just use my 35 F1.4L.

But.... I still get this issue occasionally. The only thing I can think of is when people get too close to the camera and it can't achieve AF. My problem is that if this is the 2-4th shot, the only thing you can do is restart and it isn't very intuitive. You get the AF error message (8 seconds on my pc), then the screen stays on the background that says "Taking Photo". If you press the switch again, it starts the entire process over instead of just continuing where it left off. Is there a way to fix this? This issue keeps me very tied to the booth in case of issues. Then people don't understand and complain when they don't get a print.

alexsiskahn
July 11th, 2011, 11:48 AM
please re read thread, the solution is to put the camera lens in manual focus mode.

also using a 35mm 1.4 lens is silly, you have to stop it down to 5.6 at least for decent depth of field might as well use a cheaper lens, and a cheaper camera to boot.

fortinaa
July 11th, 2011, 01:10 PM
That probably would be the simplest solution. I've found that in darker halls, even an F4 constant lens won't always acheive AF, so I've opted to use the faster lens. The model lamp on Alien Bees just doesn't provide enough light...

As a wedding photographer as well, I already have/had the equipment, so there was no sense purchasing cheaper gear just to use cheaper gear. With all the camera savvy people out there, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked what kind of camera is in the booth or what size files that the couple will get after the event (followed up by the taking of business cards). At a recent Pakistani wedding, where I saw more guests with dSLRs than any other wedding, I was asked that question at least 8 times through the night by well educated guests.

alexsiskahn
July 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I'm sure waht you say is true , but the fact of the matter is a very very small percentage of people that rent a phtoobooth care about the file size or camera, as long as it looks good they are happy.

maybe you gained one customer because they were impressed with your camera files, but you probably lost 3 potential customers because you used AF and the user experience was marred.

user experience trumps megapixels any day of the week.

fortinaa
July 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Very true, which is also why I would hope there would be an easy workaround in the software so that if a glitch does come up, it is intuitive for the user to continue. I read through the thread, and it still seems that users have had the issue when switching to MF as well. I'm going to wait for Chris to chime in and see if something can be changed to continue on the frame that was left off on, reduce the timeout window that pops up, and make it so that the "taking picture" frame isn't what stays locked on the screen.

alexsiskahn
July 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
some people with the rebel xs have the "AF ERROR" message come up when using MF because their flash is not recycling fast enough.

Your camera the 5dM2 doesn't have a flash and doesn't have this issue. There is nothing you can do to solve the issue other than stopping down your lens to f/5.6 or more and shooting on MF.

Chris will tell you the same thing, this issue has been throughly discussed.
I'm sure you could pay him to rewrite the error message to your liking and design some kind of AHK script that would automaticlly close the error dialog box and restart the session.......