PDA

View Full Version : photo booth button

dpfoto
May 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I am switching from the Griffin Tech USB button to a serial port button, which seems to be MUCH more reliable. Is there a way to have the "Photobooth Button Utility" start automatically when I start PSRemote, or do I need to manually start it each time?
Thanks

okcfb
May 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Drop the utility in the startup folder it will start automatically then click on the PSremote. But I just drop the utility on the desktop and execute it before I start up psremote. The only thing I wish someone could figure out is how to keep the usb to serial cable connected to the serial cable connected to the buttons. I have to start the utility make sure the usb to serial cable recognizes the port and then plug the serial cables together. Does anyone know how to get around this.

snapshot
May 13th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Like above, I just have a shortcut to the utility on my desktop. It would be nice if it just started automatically when PSRemote did, but it's not that big a deal.

As for the serial to usb issue, I don't really have that problem. The serial cable from my button always stays attached to the serial to usb adapter. I just plug it into the usb port, and it works. Could be an issue with your specific adapter. Maybe there is a new driver for it available.

jonmonts
May 13th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I agree with snapshot on that one. Something seems a little hinky. I never had a single issue with my old serial button and psremote (aside from the adapter cable wearing out). If you find it's something else, post back. This topic has me curious.

-jm

probooth
May 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
im not sure how to make an application automatically run when you run another, but you could make a batch file to run multiple programs, and then just use that as your shortcut to start both the Button Utility and PSRemote.

for example I use one that starts DSLR Remote Pro and BreezeViewer.

to create a batch file:
first make sure "hide extensions to known file types" is unchecked in folder view options.

right click the desktop > new > text document. name it what you want, open it and type in:

start /d "C:\Program Files\DSLR Remote Pro" DSLrRemote.exe

start /d "C:\Program Files\BreezeBrowserPro" BreezeViewer.exe

(obviously your programs and locations will vary based on what you want the batch file to run, but it will always be
start /d "program directory" application.exe)

save it, close it, and change the extension from .txt to .bat

ducksoup18
June 14th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Drop the utility in the startup folder it will start automatically then click on the PSremote. But I just drop the utility on the desktop and execute it before I start up psremote. The only thing I wish someone could figure out is how to keep the usb to serial cable connected to the serial cable connected to the buttons. I have to start the utility make sure the usb to serial cable recognizes the port and then plug the serial cables together. Does anyone know how to get around this.

I have the same issue as okcfb. I emailed Chris (sorry man, didnt realize there was a forum for this) so hopefully he has an idea on how to fix this. I noticed someone mentioned it might be the serial adapter driver but i have the most up to date one (this is the connector i use: http://www.iocrest.com/products.php?SY-ADA15006). One other thing that might be the issue is im running everything on Parallels on my macbook. I tried it on XP (dual booting with bootcamp) but that had the same issue. Any ideas/suggestions/help would be great!

Thanks,

ds18

Chris Breeze
June 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM
It sounds as though the serial cable may be connecting one or more pins together and this is preventing the USB serial port from being recognised. The buttons should have no effect because they are open circuit until they are pressed. You could try cutting the unused wires on the serial socket that plugs into the USB to serial adaptor.

ducksoup18
June 16th, 2010, 02:48 AM
HA! Figured it out. I had the cables connected to the closed circuit prong on the button so it the utility wouldnt recognize it. I have it on the open circuit so it will only send the signal to psremote once the button was pushed. The other way i had it the checkboxes were always checked, but now they only get checked when i push the button. Got a big wedding coming up here in August (mine :D) so i gotta get this crap figured out.

Thanks everyone!

ds18