PDA

View Full Version : Pushbutton, or footswitch?

dpfoto
May 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I'm looking for the best way to have the guests start the 4 shot sequence. I tried the PowerMate pushbutton with mixed success. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried it plugged into the USB hub, and plugged directly into a USB port on the laptop with about the same rate of failures. So I've given up on that type of switch.

I have modified one of the "Easy" pushbuttons from Staples, and it seems to be much more reliable. My laptop has a serial port, so I don't have to go the USB to RS232 conversion route.

What kind of switch works best for you?

Jonny
May 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
The easiest solution for me was to buy a StealthSwitch II and plug in two arcade buttons.

You can find the instructions here towards the bottom of the page. http://www.breezesys.com/articles/photobooth3.htm

I didn't go with just the foot switch because I didn't want anyone tripping over the wire and I also wanted to give the option of color or B&W.

dpfoto
May 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
I'm trying to get away from using a USB switch. My laprtops all have serial ports, and they seem to be more reliable than USB for the switch. So I'm looking for a good switch that just provides a reliable momentary closure, and looks good at the same time.

PhotoJames
May 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
I'm not trying to put down push buttons, but I use a touch screen. It works like a charm and really impresses the people in the booth. Plus the fact that I'm not an electrician and the whole wiring/rewiring of the button wasn't in my skill set. Just a thought.

dpfoto
May 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM
As a retired broadcast engineer who has designed and built entire broadcast facilities, the wiring and soldering part is easy for me.

Qapla
May 23rd, 2010, 10:59 PM
I'm not trying to put down push buttons, but I use a touch screen ... Just a thought.

Since I am planning to put my new screen behind clear plasitc, a touch screen would not work. However, the screen WILL be protected from people "jabbing" the screen.

Just a thought.

BTW - I use a Stealth on the floor - the occasional kicking of the switch just adds to the fun

inabooth
May 26th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Touchscreen

PhotoJames
May 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM
However, the screen WILL be protected from people "jabbing" the screen.

Why do people try to justify their decision to not use a touch screen by mentioning that at least their screen will be protected? I use a commercial grade touch screen that is designed to be poked, jabbed, and oh yes, TOUCHED!

If you are so paranoid that someone might touch your precious screen why don't you use bullet proof glass?

I'm just making a point and not trying to hurt anybodies feelings. If you use buttons be proud. That means you are much better with wiring than I am. The buttons do have a bit more of a retro feel to them.

Here's a question, does anyone use buttons and a touch screen? Now that is something I'd like to see.

Qapla
May 27th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Why do people try to justify their decision to not use a touch screen by mentioning that at least their screen will be protected?

I currently have an unprotected flat panel monitor. It is not a touch screen. It does not have anything that even resembles a button on it. Still, I have to clean fingerprints, smudges and smears off the screen. However, if it is behind plastic, it will be where people can no longer touch it. It will not get foreign matter and such on it. When people go into the booth with their drink, it will not get spilled on. (commercial grade or not, monitors and wet drinks do not mix well) If this means that the screen is protected, then it is protected. I'm sorry that you think that protecting your investment is a bad idea. BTW - I also carry insurance.

If you are so paranoid that someone might touch your precious screen why don't you use bullet proof glass?

I am not worried that people will shoot the screen - therefore, slightly thinner plastic will suffice.

If you use buttons be proud.

I use a Stealth Switch ON THE FLOOR - I think I said that. (The Stealth uses the USB port - I did not have to wire it, but it does qualify as a button) If people kick it, oh well. They may get some unexpected shots, but that is all part of the fun. (I have been known to hit the F4 button on the keyboard myself just to catch some of the people off-guard.)

I am in the planning stages of my next booth. My current booth is Pipes&Drapes. My new design is a bit of a hybrid. However, I was thinking of putting the camera and monitor behind plastic for protection (oops ... that word again:() as well as appearance. Since I am also planning on a light source that will also be behind plastic, I thought that the look of having the light/flash and the monitor both behind plastic (one above and one under the lens hole) would have a more uniform look. Though my current booth has a "soft" camera wall, thus no place for a button and my new booth will have a solid camera wall, I am still planning on using the Stealth on the floor. I am also planning on keeping my printer "external" as well as the computer used to run the booth (I am considering a netbook)

I make no apology - I like the button. I like the floor switch. It works for me and I have not had any complaints.

As far as buttons for BW/Color or double prints - I am not sure about this yet. But if I decide to put them in the booth, My Stealth is a II and I should be able to add the extra buttons with little effort (I can wire just fine - I have been working with and installing sound systems for about 45 years)

Just because I plan on using buttons, footswitches and the like is no reason I cannot still protect (:rolleyes:) my equipment and my investment.

If you like the touch screen and can afford the commercial grade, then use it. But, please, do not get upset that others of us use buttons AND protect (:eek:) our screens.