PDA

View Full Version : Release note question about printing

snapshot
June 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
I'm currently running PSRemote 1.8.2 in my booths, so this weekend, I installed the latest version (1.9.1) to see the updates.

In the release notes, I saw this note, which was actually added with v1.9, it reads:

• Improved handling of external button presses in photobooth mode to prevent a new shooting sequence from being started before the current one has finished printing

Does that mean what I think it does? Will the button no longer work until the previous strip has finished printing? Why would this be considered an improvement? For anyone with a somewhat fast printer (i.e. every serious photo booth owner), there is no need for the next session to have to wait. The last print will be complete long before the next session is over. Even those with slower printers generally utilize printer pooling so that the print queue never becomes backed up.

If this works the way it sounds, then it will only serve to slow down the line and therefore, decrease the maximum number of prints possible per hour. Anyway we can change this? Or am I misunderstanding the note?

Thanks.

Qapla
June 21st, 2010, 03:19 PM
I may be mistaken and maybe Chris will clear this up.

I think the expression "finished printing" refers to the sending of the print to the printer. When the "ready" screen re-appears, the complete image has been sent and received by the printer. As far as the computer and the software is concerned, it has finished printing.

Once the printer's buffer has the image, how long it takes for the printer to actually put that image onto the paper is no longer a concern for the computer and/or the software.

That is how I understand this.

snapshot
June 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
That would make sense, and I hope you are correct.

If that is the case, then my booth is generally "finished printing" even before the last group gets out of the booth, so I wouldn't have any issues.

Chris Breeze
June 22nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
What it means is external button presses are ignored until the software has finished preparing the images for printing and is ready for the next sequence. This is to prevent problems with people pressing the button repeatedly and triggering a new sequence before the current one has finished.

snapshot
June 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Excellent. That is what I was hoping for. The "finished printing" threw me off a little bit, so I jsut wanted to make sure.

Thanks