PDA

View Full Version : Green Screen-PSRemote

Rodasphoto.com
June 23rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
If possible I would love to see this feature added to PSRemote.

solock
June 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
second the notion, and would be willing to pay the difference between psremote pricing and dslrremote to get it.

Maybe a premium psremotegreen for $129?

Looking to do a greenscreen photobooth, and love to stay with breezesys products...

alexsiskahn
June 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
He's already said the reason it is not feasible is because of hardware limitations the resolution of these cameras is too low!!!
If you want to do it, he's already given a solution and it is hotfolder pritner for $120 and the green screen batch program for $180
So for $300 plus $95 for PSRemote plus $175 for a decent camera like S5 total of $570 you have your solution

Otherwise spend $400 on canon xs and $130 on dslremote = $530 with better quality images.

inabooth
June 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
I have the green screen working with psremote and a S5-IS. I use a photoshop doplet to do the processing. It works great, only the live view does not show the background.

alexsiskahn
June 24th, 2010, 12:23 AM
that's a huge ONLY. by using an overlay with live view the subjects can actually interact wtih the environmental pictures. like a person holding up a car, or holding onto a wild animal, etc.

solock
June 25th, 2010, 01:49 PM
thats actually not what he said, what he said was that he wanted to keep the cost of psremote down, and the quality of the liveview was better in the dslr's.

So I offered that I am willing to pay the difference for a psremote Deluxe if you will.

The quality of the image from a g10 or g9 is indistinguishable from a dslr when the image size is 1"x2".

The added value to me an operator who runs 3 booths and on the way to 5 by the end of summer is a smaller camera is a closer mount to the top of the monitor, and zooming from the keyboard is a great convenience for the operator.

Obviously the future of PSremote is unknown with canon not releasing the SDK for new cameras, but I am offering that price pressure on psremote doesnt have to be a barrier.

snapshot
June 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I agree with solock, though I wonder what effect the lower resolution live view has. While I've downloaded the DSLR beta, I haven't had the chance to actually play with the green screen yet, so I'm not really sure how everything works.

I wonder if the green screen background and overlay are constrained to the resolution of the live view, in which case, the low resolution of the power shot live view could have a detrimental effect on the printed photos, even at the small sizes of most photo booth strips.

However, with that said, there are ways to remedy that with the addition of the Hotfolder Prints. You could just use PSRemote to control the photo booth sequence and display the green screen background and overlay on the live view, but actually format the prints in Hotfolder Prints using higher resolution versions of the background and overlay. While this would be a more expensive solution having to purchase Hotfolder Prints as well, I don't think anyone serious about having a green screen booth would be ran off by the extra $120.

It would probably even be possible to modify PSRemote to work in a similar way, using one set of files for the live view, and another for the actual print.

Of course, if the resolution of the live view has no bearing on the quality of the background and overlay, then I don't see a huge issue. Sure, the live view may not look perfect, but the final printout would be fine.

As I've said previously, I'm not sure if I would really use the green screen or not, but it would be nice to have it available. I would have no problem paying extra for the added functionality.

alexsiskahn
June 25th, 2010, 03:44 PM
"I wonder if the green screen background and overlay are constrained to the resolution of the live view, in which case, the low resolution of the power shot live view could have a detrimental effect on the printed photos, even at the small sizes of most photo booth strips."

yes that is how it works and the fix is not buying hot folder prints for a mere $120 it also involves buying $180 green screen wizard batch software for a total of $300 more.

As shown in my previous post it is actually MORE expensive to use psremote and buy the other software than to use dslr remote's green screen capabilites.

Amazing how simple economic sense is ignored just becuase one happens to own a product already. Same reason why razor blade companies practically give away the razor holder while they sell the blades for a ridiculous markup, or why pritners are so cheap but two extra ink refills costs more than the printer.

alexsiskahn
June 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
"The quality of the image from a g10 or g9 is indistinguishable from a dslr when the image size is 1"x2". ....BUT ONLY WHEN USING THE ACTUAL SENSOR OUTPUT, WHEN USING LIVE VIEW VIDEO SIGNAL OUTPUT THE DIFFERENCE IS DRAMATIC. TRY FOR YOURSELF.

snapshot
June 25th, 2010, 07:42 PM
"I wonder if the green screen background and overlay are constrained to the resolution of the live view, in which case, the low resolution of the power shot live view could have a detrimental effect on the printed photos, even at the small sizes of most photo booth strips."

yes that is how it works and the fix is not buying hot folder prints for a mere $120 it also involves buying $180 green screen wizard batch software for a total of $300 more.

As shown in my previous post it is actually MORE expensive to use psremote and buy the other software than to use dslr remote's green screen capabilites.

Amazing how simple economic sense is ignored just becuase one happens to own a product already. Same reason why razor blade companies practically give away the razor holder while they sell the blades for a ridiculous markup, or why pritners are so cheap but two extra ink refills costs more than the printer.

It is really only cheaper if you are starting fresh. What if you already own 8 powershot cameras for your booths?

Now it is buying 8 DSLRs plus multiple copies of DSLR Remote, versus only buying multiple copies of Hotfolder prints and the green screen program.

Now which one makes more economic sense? :confused:

alexsiskahn
June 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
So you own 8 powershots and now you have to buy $300 worth of software for each of them. Sell the powershots to pay for the DSLr license and then buy $350 canon xs refurb camera from adorama. or $400 new one.

I see your point, but it's like a $50 to $100 difference per booth and if you own 8 booths I'm guessing you have enough business to justify such a small investment.

snapshot
June 25th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I see your point as well, and if someone was just starting out, and they were very serious about doing lots of green screen, then going the DSLR route is probably the way to go.

But for those with lots of other equipment that may just dabble in green screen from time to time, it would be nice to have another option. :)

mugshots
July 20th, 2010, 04:17 AM
Here's another thought, just because you have 8 booths, you really don't need to upgrade all of them. Just do one or two, and then you can make sure to send that particular booth to any green-screen booking.