PDA

View Full Version : Capture Beta problems

April 7th, 2005, 01:45 AM
I was trying the beta to connect my Canon 20D and my Windows XP laptop.

I ran into a series of problems, and have noted what I think I was doing:

If you click 'preview', you get an access violation and the program terminates, and the camera shifts to small jpg. Weird!

If you start the program and the puchase/evaluate box comes up and then you turn the camera on, the program freezes.

Force quit, and then ever time you start up after the program is 'connecting' and frozen.

Had to restart the machine to get the beta to run. It ran fine the next time.

I don't know that I can reproduce the above.

I do like the simple way the program works. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the full screen view of what I shot. I can't believe Canon's own program doesn't do this, but I'm glad to have Chris' program.

I will want to exercise it a lot before I'll trust it on a location shoot.

John

April 7th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Here is the sequence:

1. release shutter at camera
2. release shutter at pc (click on release button)
3. release shutter at pc
4. click on preview button

Access violation at 0x0041DF1D
(tried to read from 0x00000000),
program terminated

At that point my camera LCD goes to flashing 'busy', and
the camera has been reset from RAW to low quality small jpg.

John

April 7th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Different scenario.

restarted computer, powercycled camera

pulled down the Help dialog on the PC
while it was still down, pressed the release button on the camera

Access violation at 0x0041C297

--------------------------------------

Another case:

I changed the highlight method to rgb and flashing,
pressed the release button on the PC

the screen went black, and when it came back up it said 'downloading image' but never completed that. the camera was flashing 'busy' until I powercycled the camera.

April 7th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Pretty simple scenario.

cycled the computer
power cycled the camera

used wired remote release to take picture
picture shows up
use wired remote release to take second picture

access violation at 0x0041c29c
trying to write to 0x4a256c89

I guess I'll give up now until there is a new beta, and go back to the canon crappy software.

Chris, if there's something I can do (nor NOT do!) to help you debug or whatever, let me know.

Also, please let me know that these posts are being read by someone who will be working on the software, even if it will take a while to resolve.

John

April 8th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I wanted to report that I did finally do what the beta guide said and set "ignore UI events". That did improve reliability.

In my first test after setting that, it was four shots before I got an access violation:

access violation at 0x0041c296,
read at 0xffffff96

In my second test it was 12 shots before I got an access violation:

access violation at 0x0041c298,
read at 0xffffffff

I hope this helps. I don't have any problems with the Canon EOS Capture utility, except that it is slower and requires a manual click each time to view the image.

John

Chris Breeze
April 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Unfortunately there are reliability problems with the 20D due to the Canon SDK. There isn't much I can do about this until Canon release a new SDK and hopefully fix these problems. Frustratingly EOS Capture uses a different set of libraries from the SDK and does appear to be more reliable.

April 11th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info/reply. I had no idea that EOS Capture used a different platform from the SDK.

If Canon needs to hear from camera owners about this problem, in addition to developers, let me know where to write.

If EOS Capture would just display the most recent image capture in a large window, I'd find it useable for my purposes. But there seems to be no automatic way to do that.

Thanks again. Is there any kind of alert service to sign up for so I'll know when you've got a new beta out? Sounds like it could be months, since it depends on Canon.

John

Chris Breeze
April 12th, 2005, 09:56 AM
The best thing to do is check this forum and the DSLR Remote Pro pages at www.breezesys.com. You can also check for updates from the help menu when running DSLR Remote Pro.
Canon should be releasing a new verion of the SDK to add support for the Rebel XT/350D soon and I'm hoping they will have addressed some of the problems with the 20D and 1D/1Ds Mark II.