PDA

View Full Version : PSRemote on Linux

Sharpie
August 16th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Has anyone tried using PSRemote on Unix with something like Ubantu and WINE?

or would the Mac version work on a linux OS?

alexsiskahn
August 17th, 2010, 10:51 PM
why? I've never used linux, does it have some cool features not available in windows?

Jonny
August 18th, 2010, 01:04 AM

or would the Mac version work on a linux OS?

I would be interested to know as well.

Qapla
August 18th, 2010, 02:52 AM

I would be interested to know as well.

OK, why don't one of you guys try it and report back :D

Rodasphoto.com
August 19th, 2010, 10:54 PM
I have tried PSremote on my macbook pro using VMware and I find that it crashes a lot before I purchased it. Then installed it on a win laptop I have and it works flawlessly.

Jonny
August 20th, 2010, 08:36 AM
OK, why don't one of you guys try it and report back :D

Because I haven't messed with Linux since about 7 years ago. I don't have it installed on anything anymore. When I was messing with it, Red Hat was stable as hell. If it did work though, I'd consider moving from windows. I'd bet that the software performance would be just as good if not better on a slower pc with Linux. Drivers may be an issue though.

I may have to dust off a box and do a little playing.

Sharpie
August 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
why? I've never used linux, does it have some cool features not available in windows?

Well apart from booting up in about 15 seconds and similar at shut down, less malicious software attacks, open source with other open source applications available...

I could go on. If I can start to replace all my software or make it work on Unix with VMware or similar I'm migrating. I've started on a test PC (using ubantu) but suspect due to time allowance will take me several months before I get it sussed.

I guess if it wasn't for microsoft bundling of pc's at purchase it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Sadly it annoys & frustrates everyone that uses it but so what when you have their market share and it's mainstream!

Interesting to know if Chris has any plans for the future with DSLR or PSremote?

byulke
November 6th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Has anyone given this a try? How about with the new Beta version of the Mac client? I would love to see this working under Linux to help improve stability of the computer, and of course start-up/shutdown time.

alexsiskahn
November 7th, 2010, 12:33 PM
almost none of the dye sub printers have linux drivers so there's your stumbling block. waste of effort.