PDA

View Full Version : DLSR Pro 1.1 beta hangs 20D

Stu Farnham
April 11th, 2005, 03:24 AM
I haven't got the repro exactly nailed yet, but the DSLR Pro 1.1 beta hangs *and hangs my Canon 20D* under certain circumstances. It looks like the hangs occur if the program is abruptly terminated and then restarted.

In each case, my 20D shows "busy" is the LCD display and must be power-cycled in order to reset the camera. This happened half a dozen times this afternoon; in order to get work done I finally gave up and shot the old-fashioned way.

Stu

Stu Farnham
April 11th, 2005, 04:30 AM
I did some experiments and was unable to detect any pattern. The xperiment was always the same: reboot my system (PC running XPSP2), turn on the camera, plug in to PC, start DSLR Pro, and start alternating previews/photos. After a varialbe number of tries, DSLR Pro hangs, and the camera is stuck flashing "busy" on the LCD.

April 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Stu,

I had the same thing happen each of the many times I got an access violation from the beta.

I didn't need to reset the camera. I unplugged the USB from the camera (which made the busy indicator stop) and then I would turn the camera off and then back on.

The oddest thing was when it reset my quality settings from RAW+medium JPG to small JPG only. That stopped when I set it for RAW only (though that may have been a coincidence).

I hope there's another beta soon that addresses the access violations. But I don't know whether that is days or weeks off.

I like the simplicity of the program and the way it pulls up a full window view quickly.

John

Chris Breeze
April 11th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I find it is more reliable on some of my computers than it is on others. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do until Canon update the EOS SDK and hopefully fix the reliability problems.

Stu Farnham
April 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM
I've also seen the camera reset to small quality -- and I shoot in Raw 99% of the time.

Chris, I understand your predicament, but I paid you for the product. I love it when it works, but the current level of instability is too much. What does Canon say about their SDK? Any word on whether/when they will have an update?

Chris Breeze
April 12th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Stu, I'm sorry but I can't do any better until Canon fix the problems with the SDK, that's why 20D support is still only in a beta version. Canon usually release a new SDK 6 to 12 weeks after a camera goes on sale and so an update to support the Rebel XT/350D should be available soon.