PDA

View Full Version : What happens when the printer runs out of paper?

RoyceH
November 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I just got the Sony CX1 and haven't gone through all the paper yet. Does any warning come up when the papers is out or is about to be out? It'd be nice to know when it's nearing the last few prints.

alexsiskahn
November 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM
yes a pop up window comes up saying the printer is out of paper. better dye subs have an lcd that shows the remaining prints. the upcx1 of course doesn't have this, one of the things that annoys me about it.

RoyceH
November 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Any idea what the popup says? I use AHK with psremote and it probably wont show because of the GUI's I've built. If I know what the windows titles says, I can have AHK create it's own warning. Thanks.

alexsiskahn
November 11th, 2010, 06:34 PM
no just try it yourself, try to do a print with no paper in the printer:rolleyes:

RoyceH
November 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I'm going to but I have a feeling it says something else when I don't have anything in there at all. Guess I'll just find out at the event.

alexsiskahn
November 12th, 2010, 01:26 AM
you could checked to see if your feelign was right or cut off 10 inches of paper and done a test taht way.

ulyrn
November 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
you can actually check how many prints left by going to the devices and printers option click on the printer, then printer preference then click on the printer, it will show how many prints left, it also gives you the printer head count. It's easier if you allocate 1 roll per a 3-4 hour event, then discard the remaining paper and cartridge just make sure it is included when you priced the packaged, or you can print extra single shots from the event as an extra.

snapshot
November 13th, 2010, 04:16 AM
you can actually check how many prints left by going to the devices and printers option click on the printer, then printer preference then click on the printer, it will show how many prints left, it also gives you the printer head count. It's easier if you allocate 1 roll per a 3-4 hour event, then discard the remaining paper and cartridge just make sure it is included when you priced the packaged, or you can print extra single shots from the event as an extra.

That would be a huge waste of paper. I can often do two events on a single roll. The pop up just says something like the printer is out of paper, though I have no idea what the title of the box is. Once you load the paper, you have to hit "Retry" to get the pop up to go away and for the printer to start printing again.

Are you only running a single monitor? I have two, one for the fullscreen photo booth, and one inside the booth for my use. The printer popup always shows up on the inside (primary) monitor.

As previously said, you can check the number of remaining prints in the printer properties. I usually check at the beginning of the night to see how many prints are left. Based on this, and paying attention to the booth usage, I can guess roughly when I need to be ready to change the paper. Changing the paper only takes me around 30 seconds, so I'm usually done before the next group exits the booth.

While some printers do have an LCD that displays the number of prints remaining, considering that the printer is inside the booth, this isn't a very useful feature.

picturethis
November 15th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I check at the beginning of the night so I have a small idea how long it should take before I run out. I think it says the ink ribbon is low or time to change the ink ribbon, what I do is I have the fresh ink open and the fresh roll of paper ready to go. I have nothing that blocks the area that these go to except of course the paper tray. In about 1 minute its ready to go, the guest hardly notice.