PDA

View Full Version : Another "Time Different" problem

philmguy
April 12th, 2005, 04:40 AM
I recently experienced the "Time Different" problem mentioned in a couple other postings. I shot three cards of images on my 10D, a mix of RAW and Jpegs. When I downloaded them using Downloader Pro, the first card downloaded completely; on the second, Downloader Pro reported eight files with Time Different settings (this was four RAW files and their thumbnails). The third card reported 160 of 324 files with Time Different settings (these were all RAW files with thumbnails).

My 10D is set for continuous numbering, so that isn't an issue, and all three cards had been formatted prior to use. I looked at all three cards in a file browser and printed the file listings of each card. There are no duplicate file numbers. I thought I'd be able to tell Downloader Pro to ignore the Time Difference and download the files anyway, but couldn't find any way to do that. As a result, the only way I could get the "problem" files off the card was using the separate file browser.

I have Downloader Pro set up to use automation, including prompting for a job code before download, and I'm using %J_%n4 to assign file names.

Hope you can help or at least tell me if there is a way to tell DP to ignore the time difference and download all of the files.

Chris Breeze
April 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM
If you get a "Time different" status it means there is an existing file in the download directory which is the same size as the image to be downloaded but has a different timestamp. If there was an existing file which has a different file size you would get a "Size different" status. Please can you compare the original and downloaded images? Are they the same image and what are there time stamps? The only thing I can think of that could cause this is is something which is modifying the file after it has been downloaded which is leaving the file size the same but changing the file's timestamp.

rod evans
April 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM
I am not sure whether this is relevant.....

I have had a situation where I have been using multiple cards and got this problem with DLPro.

In my case it turned out to be like this:

card 1 - sequence numbers (say) 9001 to 9050 - all downloaded successfully
card 2 - sequence numbers 8900 - 9005 - all downloaded

When I download, clearly there is in overlap causing the problem you have highlighted. In this case it appears to be caused by the fact that the cards carry a sequence number forward and if the sequence numbers are close you can get an overlap.

This maybe a classic 'red herring' but... just in case...

Rod

Chris Breeze
April 13th, 2005, 10:36 AM
You will definitely get a problem if you download images from two CF cards with overlapping filenames unless you setup DLPro to rename them. One way to do this is to prefix the filename with the time e.g. use %t_%o. If you're taking pictures with more than one camera you could prefix the filenames with the camera model or use the camera name mapping function in DLPro to add a different prefix for each camera.

philmguy
April 14th, 2005, 05:15 AM
OK, after downloading the cards another time into a different directory with different file names, I think I"ve figured out what's happening.

As I said, I have DP set up to prompt for a job code and to assign new file names using %J_%n4, then download into a directory named for the job code. I was assuming that when multiple cards were downloaded into the same job code directory, that DP would begin numbering files from the second card not from 0001, but from the number of the last file downloaded from the first card. But I see that when I put the second card into the reader, the files that come up as Time Different are the first files on the card, and the ones whose new file names would start at 0001 and thus appear to be dupes, though their file sizes are not the same as the earlier downloads.

Is there any way to tell DP to continue numbering from a specific number? I see from looking at the Help file that the %r4 token would maintain the original image number, which I guess would avoid the problem, but I'd really rather renumber starting from 1.

Thanks
Phil

Chris Breeze
April 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM
You could try replacing %n4 with %N1%n3
%N1 is the number of downloads performed today and will return 1 for the first download, 2 for the second etc.
Please note: these tokens prevent DLPro from keeping track of images downloaded previously and so you will end up multiple copies of images if you accidentally download the same CF card more than once.

BTW if I want to end up with neatly numbered images I prefer to use %r and then batch rename in BBPro after deleting unwanted images. The problem with trying to do it all in DLPro is you will get gaps in the numbering if you delete any of the images after downloading.