PDA

View Full Version : Camera battery

miker1267
February 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM
This is probably another dumb question but I am pretty new to the photo booth stuff. I am running a Canon Powershot G10 with a USB cable connection to the computer. Is the camera powered by the computer through the USB or does the camera battery eventually run down?

stillmation
February 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
This is probably another dumb question but I am pretty new to the photo booth stuff. I am running a Canon Powershot G10 with a USB cable connection to the computer. Is the camera powered by the computer through the USB or does the camera battery eventually run down?

It will drain the battery, yes.
You'll need to buy the optional Canon AC power adaptor for the G10 if you intend to use it for any serious lengths of time. The AC adaptor comes with a cabled dummy battery that replaces the battery and allows the camera to run as long as the adaptor is plugged in.

Worthy to note, and a let-down on the G10. It will not power up automatically. That means if you remove the AC power the camera will shut down as expected but as soon as power is restored the camera needs to be manually powered up.

I recently picked up a Canon G5, this gets round both issues. The G5 comes with a charger that charges the battery whilst in the camera. No need to purchase an extra AC adaptor. It also powers up automatically as soon as power is restored. A big advantage in a booth situation.

chrisell
February 1st, 2011, 10:19 AM
It costs more than the no-name chargers but is more reliable. And I always take along a fully charged battery just in case.