PDA

View Full Version : Printer...

jfreeman1412
February 6th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Hey guys we have 2 Kodak 6850 printers now and they are good most of the time. Good speed and good print price but too heavy! We are looking at purchasing another printer but may go with something else. Does anyone have any suggestions? Print price and speed are the most important factors.

PS.....Anyone else brave(or strong) enough to be using a Kodak 6800-6850 printer? And do you ever have trouble with it not communicating with the laptop? We have this problem sometimes, but usually can get it to work with some trouble shooting. But the troubleshooting is never the same? Anyone familiar?

alexsiskahn
February 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Kodak's printers are actually made by Shinko. And if you ask me, they rely on too many sensors that can get messed up. I'm constatly getting paper load errors, etc. I do not recommend Any shinko printer.

Sony (which is actually made by DNP, at least going back to the 150 series) is a more reliable printer. the sony 200 has the cheapeast media price and is also one of the most expensive dye subs.
http://www.imagingspectrum.com/printer-comparison-chart.html

has a good comparison. the UPcx1 is the lightest , but has a paper jamming issue if one does not clear out the paper scraps after every job they can get tossed and turned inside and stuck in the gears.

snapshot
February 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM
If you are looking for light weight, the Sony UP-CX1 is the way to go. It only weighs 22 pounds, so it is not too bad to haul around. Plus, they are pretty cheap at less than $800.

They are not the fastest printers in the world, at about 15 seconds for a 4x6, but that has been fast enough for my needs. I've never had a single paper jam in three years, even though I often don't empty the paper scrap bin. The cost of the media is a bit higher than some of the larger printers, but if your main issue is size, then the UP-CX1 is hard to beat.

chrisell
February 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I really like the light weight of the CX-1, and like other users I've found it totally reliable. However I'll be adding 2 booths this month using the Sony DR200. With its newest drivers it will cut 2" x 6" strips from the standard 6" paper load and that will save so much time for a booth operator it makes up for the added weight. Also means no paper cutter to carry . . .

jfreeman1412
February 6th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Whats the cost per print with the sonys?

alexsiskahn
February 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
see link i previously posted for cost comparisons. 15 cents for the sony 200

jfreeman1412
February 7th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Thanks....And I assume Breeze software is able to do the 2x6 strips? You would just set it for 1 row and how many ever pictures you want.

chrisell
February 7th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Though I haven't received my DR200 printers yet, I believe that the 2x6 strip option is created as a 4x6 print with an extra cut. So your Breeze software would still generate a 4x6 image with 2 side by side strips. Order 1 print, get 2 strips. Order 2 prints, get 4. Anxious to actually try it out!

Chris Breeze
February 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM
The Sony UP-DR200 uses 6x4 media and cuts it to create 6x2 strips. The photo booth software should be setup to print single 6x2 strips and you'll need to print 2 copies if you want a double strip.

chrisell
February 7th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I didn't want to mention this until I was sure they had some more, but Mike Wodushek at AAA Imaging has some lightly-used UP DR200 Sonys coming in for sale very soon at $650. That's a pretty good price for a unit that can deliver 2" x 6" strips already cut. Email him at [email protected]

neilneilb
February 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM
To anyone new to the updr200 multi cut driver keep in mind if you print odd number of strips it will still use ribbon for a 4x6. You can print a single 2x6 strip but the printer will use the same amount of ribbon as if you printed 2 strips, so in the end you will have saved some paper but wasted the ribbon. Recommended to always print even number of strips.

jfreeman1412
February 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Good call.....Thanks for the heads up. So really it's not going to save on print kits, but more on having to cut every strip.

jfreeman1412
February 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Hey Guys
My sister works at a drug store and she said they are running a sale right now for 10 cent prints. The are running fuji, has anyone looked into using one of these? I don't know the model number but it may be worth looking into.

Also what is the lowest people are paying per print? Right now I am at .19

chrisell
February 25th, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hey Guys
My sister works at a drug store and she said they are running a sale right now for 10 cent prints. The are running fuji, has anyone looked into using one of these? I don't know the model number but it may be worth looking into.

Also what is the lowest people are paying per print? Right now I am at .19

Might be hard to move a photo booth that has a complete Fuji minilab inside it