PDA

View Full Version : Green screen or blue screen

rwhite
February 11th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I had an interesting green screen shoot this weekend in where the client had went out and purchased props for their guests. The problem was the props had alot of green in them. I had told the client weeks before and thought they understood that guests wearing green would not work and for them to put the word out before the shoot. I guess they thought green props, wigs, etc... would work. NOT!

I know there is such a thing a blue screen but have never worked with it. Does the PSRemote software work with blue screen or is that something completely different. I only ask because I am not sure.

If it is not it would be nice in a future release to incorporate a choice between green or blue screen to illiminate color problems due to clients logos, props etc...

Bob

PhotoJames
February 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hey Bob,
I've used both blue and green screens in traditional photography and the concept is that you pick a color that will be unlikely to occur naturally and then the program removes that color and replaces it with the image that you have supplied. I'm not 100% sure, but I would bet that you can use a blue screen as well as a green screen. I say this because it has a place where you can adjust the RGB inputs for the color to 'key' out. Give it a try, buy a cheap piece of fabric from Walmart and adjust the RGB inputs to see what happens. The worst that could happen is that you'd be out a few bucks and an hour or two of your time.

rwhite
February 11th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Well I gave it a shot. I kept the green threshold all the way up and turned the blue level down. It did not work. When you press contol/G it says GREEN THRESHOLD/RED LEVEL/BLUE LEVEL.

I am pretty sure Chris wrote the software to recognize green chroma. Hopefully an upgrade is in the near future to add a blue screen option.

anastassis
February 11th, 2011, 06:16 PM
in my opinion people wear more blue than green. so i choose only green as an option.

rwhite
February 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Green or blue screen it is the options that we give our clients that allows them to make the decision to hire us. I would hate to loose a client because I cannot offer them a blue screen because the colors of their shirts, hats, national flag etc... has green in it and will not show up against the green screen.

I agree that a green screen would be the primary choice over a blue screen but never want to miss out on a business opportunity because I am not prepared.

It's not an urgent pressing matter for me but just an alternative to create solutions in the future. I am a businessman where in todays economic times want to make every dollar I can when possible and don't want potential customers to choose my competitor becuase I cannot offer what they want or need.

PhotoJames
February 14th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Hey Bob,

I don't think that you can just take one of your sliders and slam it to one side to get it to key on blue. There are three sliders and it works in real time. Play with the different sliders until you get it to work.

Chris Breeze
February 14th, 2011, 06:54 AM
It's only designed to work with green screen backgrounds. In theory it wouldn't be hard to modify the app to support blue screen - just a question of R&D time and priorities. We haven't had many requests for blue screening so far.