PDA

View Full Version : Print adjustment request

apples
March 17th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Chris,

Like you I use the DPN DS40 printer. I'm not sure if other printers have the problem of the printer not ptinting all the pivels it says it will print.

Could you add something in the software to accomodate the 15pixels not printed or whatever it is?

Personally, when I set up a 'custom layout' I tend to not compensate for this problem, which is OK when the background or edging is white. However, at the w/end I did an event where I used a black background then had purple borders around the 3 photos as a .png. To save fiddling I had the .png covering up the full distance from photo to edge of print area, and not just a 'thin' border - when it came out of the printer it was all proportional and looked great.

However, when the prints are viewed on a PC or in my on-line gallery the purple border looks slightly out of proportion.

If there was a 'compensator' in the software this would make doing custom layouts a lot easier.

I realise that I could have fixed it by fiddling, but didn't have the time ahead of the event.

Chris Breeze
March 18th, 2011, 10:17 AM
The problem is to guarantee borderless printing the printer actually prints an area slightly larger than the page (20 extra pixels on each edge on my DNP DS40). You can compensate for this by offsetting the photos by the appropriate amount in the custom layout. I don't think trying to compensate for this in the software is a good idea because it would make it difficult to reprint the strips using other software which isn't aware of the offsets.

You could use Hotfolder Prints to create a separate layout for uploading to your website e.g. this could be a 2x2 grid which fits better on a PC display than a 4x1 strip.

PhotoJames
March 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hey Apples,
This is a real easy fix (on your part). Like Chris said, all printers that offer "borderless printing the printer actually prints an area slightly larger than the page". All you need to do is make a test print document the same size as your photo booth prints and add pixel measurements so you can print it and determine how much is being trimmed on each side. My Mitsubishi doesn't trim the sides uniformly. One side is about 12 pixels and the opposite side is about 25 and so on. I now know what is being trimmed off and have a master file with guides marking the live area. Set up once and you'll be set until you change your set up (ie get a new printer, change software, etc).

Chris has an explanation on how to do this on the site.

apples
March 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi James,

yes, I've read and done everything and I know it's easy to solve. In fact in the custom setting you can do a 'test print' that has the pixel numbers on it. I have done layouts where I have done borders that are perfect on both prints and 'on screen'.

However, sometimes when I'm doing a new layout (like last week) I'm not hooked up to the printer (which is packed away until the next event), or in a rush (2weeks ago!) - so I just make the .png border go right up to the edge, which I know will be fine on the 'prints' from the printer, but which look slightly odd when viewed on the screen.

I thought it might be an easy fix in the Breeze software, which is why I raised the topic.

Also, I could do a print with 'a border' in the printer settings - but, of course this would be a white border. last week I was using a black background with purple writing, so this wouldn't have worked then.

If no one else thinks it would be a good idea, then I'll just make sure I allocate more time for doing the layouts.

stillmation
March 19th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I just have basic .PSD templates to suit all my printers. The Mitsubishi and Sony have different pixelcount and border trimming so I have templates to suit.
The Photoshop file has guidelines in place to make where the printable edges are so I'm safe when I lay out the design inside those guides.

It's also important to remember that when laying out a custom layout in the booth software, to include those lost edge pixels when you are measuing where images go on the layout.

I've now got a folder of base templates that I can use for all sorts of layouts. Each setup I make for the clients, I save the base .PSD file for possible future use of adjustments. So now, withing that folder templates folder I have extra folders for 1,2,3,4 photos per layout. It does save a lot of time when getting set up.

PhotoJames
March 20th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I thought it might be an easy fix in the Breeze software, which is why I raised the topic.

Also, I could do a print with 'a border' in the printer settings - but, of course this would be a white border. last week I was using a black background with purple writing, so this wouldn't have worked then.

If no one else thinks it would be a good idea, then I'll just make sure I allocate more time for doing the layouts.
Maybe I need to get more sleep, but stillmation explained the exact same way I do it. I wasn't sure what program you are using to make your layouts. I have one master .psd file that I open and then "save as" into a folder for the new layouts. Layers, guides, layer masks and adjustment layers are your friend. I have quite a few different layouts that I use and they are all documented with excel files so that I know what to plug into the photo booth program. It's a bit of set up on the front end, but I can now make custom pages in a matter of minutes.

And I have to disagree with you, I don't think it would be an easy fix in the Breeze software at all. There are way too many variables for the cameras and printers.