PDA

View Full Version : Webcam photobooth; strobes and liveview?

koko_lopez
April 25th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hello, I haven't really goofed around with the new webcam photobooth program (just Ps remote), or really with webcams in general. Can you manually set the aperture on those things, and if so, can you also have it fire studio strobes? ie. can I get it to work exactly like my 5dII, with the live view and strobes, except without, you know, having to actually park a 5d in the photobooth?
that would be great.
thanks for your thoughts.

LorneChesal
April 25th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Hello, I haven't really goofed around with the new webcam photobooth program (just Ps remote), or really with webcams in general. Can you manually set the aperture on those things, and if so, can you also have it fire studio strobes? ie. can I get it to work exactly like my 5dII, with the live view and strobes, except without, you know, having to actually park a 5d in the photobooth?
that would be great.
thanks for your thoughts.

short answer. Yes, in a way.

A webcam can't behave like your 5d because it's a different device entirely.

Functionally though, the workflow/outcome/end result is the same.

With the higher end ($$) webcams you can usually set their exposure and WB manually using sliders and save those settings. Ask about specific models and you'll get answers. I use use the Logitech C910 and they just updated the driver to offer full manual control over exposure and WB. You wouldn't need strobe lighting, as webcams are designed to work in continuous/available light. You would still modify the lighting to be soft and flattering, but you don't need the "flash".

The live view is exactly the same I believe.

regards...

koko_lopez
April 25th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Hey there,
thanks for your thoughts, that's good to know!
I have to admit, I think I sort of like the flash and the accompanying popping sound, I think it sort of makes the booth cooler (for lack of a better description).
Maybe I could just set up the webcam, and rig a flash to fire a bit delayed from the frame grab just for aesthetic appeal..
Hrmm.

Anywho, thanks again.

onebadhobbit
April 27th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I'm with you koko lopez, though it's more than just cool, it's a very important cue that resonates at a deeper level, flash = glamour/excitement/reassurance that 'something has happened" The webcam option appeals in so many ways, re size and durability, but no flash means I could not go with it. Wish I could though. I really miss the G series canons, closest things to webcam in that respect.