PDA

View Full Version : DLP and autorun..... grrrrrrrr

HenriMonnier
April 27th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I seem to be unable to get Downloader Pro to autostart when I plug the CF card into it's reader. I'm running XP, SP2, and the latest release of Downloader. I have gone through the Breeze instructions on the web (tried lots of other things too - cussing does not seem to help either....), and everything appears to be properly set. I realize this is not a Downloader problem, but am hoping that someone might have some suggestions.

While viewing 'My Computer' I can see when the card is recognized, but nothing starts. The 'hourglass' stays present for a few seconds, then goes away. I have noticed that when I set the preferences for the reader; picture files, Downloader, etc., that after I hit 'Apply' and 'OK', if I go back and recheck the preferences, those changes have not been retained. They have diverted back to the initial settings....grrrrrrrrr

All suggestions welcomed.....
thanks,
Henri Monnier

Chris Breeze
April 28th, 2005, 07:23 AM
You could try Microsoft's AutoPlay repair wizard:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=C680A7B6-E8FA-45C4-A171-1B389CFACDAD&displaylang=en

HenriMonnier
April 28th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Chris,
I have already done that (a couple of times), and it verifies that the device is functioning normally. While watching the device on the "My Computer" screen, I can see the device name change from the default of 'Compact Flash/Microdrive [F:]' to 'LEXAR MEDIA [F:]', but the action I have set up in preferences; 'Pictures' & 'Downloader Pro', is not envoked. The hourglass does show when the CF card is inserted, and its timing duration coincides with the period of time that the device name change is going on. Interestingly after applying the preferences and clicking 'OK', if I go back to review them right away, the display for 'content type' has reverted back to the default of 'Music Files'. It seems it should show the preferences I've just set - if yours is working, what do you see if you go back to recheck (perhaps what I see in the recheck is normal...)?

I'm sure others are taking advantage of automating this process, and someone else must have run into this. This is a pretty 'vanilla' system, running XP Home at SP2 level, with no special changes to it. I'm perplexed......
Henri Monnier

Carl Bickers
April 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM
For what's it's worth: I had the same problem with autostart, and nothing worked for me. Recently it started working, just after installing the latest batch of Windows Updates for XP Home. This was about 10 days ago. Given how flaky Windows is, this is no guarantee, but you may want to try it.

HenriMonnier
April 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
After spending much more tme on this issue than I probably should have - it's finally solved. To solve the problem I first tried to determine all of the applications I had that might 'like' to use the card readers - I first focused an all applications that were 'picture' or 'photo' related, then I started deleting them one-at-time, rebooting and testing with each deletion. After several passes through, the culprit was Nero Photoshow...... I have emailed them asking why their application takes the reader over, and does not start, ignoring the fact that a card has been inserted. If I get something back I'll post it.....
Henri Monnier