PDA

View Full Version : Remote movie capture

jimodoherty
April 29th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Hi,
I am thinking of buying PSremote for my Powershot camera, I'm looking for a way to perform remote capture of movies, similar to the image capture. Basically Im doing experiments nwith the camera and I don want to have to go up and down all the time to acquire a movie. This function is not available in the Canon Zoombrowser software, is it available with PSremote???

Any help is appreciated!!!

Jim

Chris Breeze
April 29th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Sorry it isn't possible to capture movies when the camera is in remote mode. This is a limitation of the camera firmware and Canon interface libraries. What you could do is set the viewfinder to video out and then connect the camera's video out port to a video capture card or a VCR.

jimodoherty
May 3rd, 2005, 07:31 AM
Chris,
Thanks for the information, I was always wondering was it a limitation due to the camera, or was it simply that they were not interested in controlling the movie mode remotely.

Thanks again

Jim

jimodoherty
May 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Chris,
Just in passing, you mentioned that this was a firmware limitation. Does this mean that if Canon develop the remote control over the movie mode, then a new Canon camera I buy now could possibly be updated later on to allow this function??
Ive asked Canon about this issue too a few weeks ago, but they havent responded to me.

Thanks again

Jim

Chris Breeze
May 4th, 2005, 07:06 AM
I will try and include it in PSRemote if Canon make it available via their SDK. I suspect this is unlikely though because movie mode needs a start and a stop command which could result in the camera getting into a strange state if the connection to the PC was lost mid-movie. This is similar to the way that bulb and mirror lockup can't be controlled remotely from the PC on Canon DSLRs.