PDA

View Full Version : WebCam PhotoBooth Error Initializing Camera

anders
September 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I am currently testing the webcam software and i am using a Microsoft Life Cam Studio web camera, after selecting the camera on the software options i receive an error when trying to launch photobooth mode

Error initializing camera: Error creating video mixing renderer

Any suggestions what could be the cause of this error?

The camera is connected and opens when i use the life cam studio software

Thanks in advance
Sam

Chris Breeze
September 12th, 2011, 10:33 AM
You might get this problem with older versions of Windows which have an old version of DirectShow. Installing the software that came with the webcam should fix this. What version of Windows and what model of webcam are you using please?

anders
September 12th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Chris,

I am currently using Windows XP SP3 and have installed the life studio that come with the camera and its via this application that i am able to test the camera with photos and recording but when i try with the webbooth software i receive the error.

The application you mentioned Directshow is this a software that can be downloaded and installed?

Kind Regards,
Sam

Chris Breeze
September 13th, 2011, 09:12 AM
It's possible the latest Microsoft webcams use Media Foundation not DirectShow in which case installing the software that came with the webcam may not include DirectShow. Webcam Photobooth requires DirectShow9 or later. You can find out more from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow

anders
September 14th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi Chris,

Having spent a day upgrade firmware on the camera, xp updates, .net updates and trying to intall directshow still receive the same error :-(

Any other suggestions?

I assume if the camera uses Media Foundation then this is not possible to work on the webcambooth software?

Regards,
Sam

Chris Breeze
September 15th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what else to suggest. I've tested Webcam Photobooth with a variety of Microsoft webcams on Windows XP Pro SP3 and it worked fine. Do you have a different webcam you can try?

anders
September 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I'm sorry I don't know what else to suggest. I've tested Webcam Photobooth with a variety of Microsoft webcams on Windows XP Pro SP3 and it worked fine. Do you have a different webcam you can try?

This is the only external web camera i have, its strange as the camera is one of the ones listed by other people that works, what i am going to do is get a friends pc and try on there incase its an issue with the kisok i am using.....

The cam software works fine so its strange why your software will not connect, will plan to do this over the weekend

studiocarlsson.se
September 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have exactly the same problem as user Anders accept i bought the Logitech C910 HD Webcam as you recommended.
I have tried it on operating systems Win XP SP1 / SP3 - Win 7 / SP 1 and i get the same error message as Anders.
The computer i use is a Dell D610 Laptop.

Johnny

anders
September 19th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I have exactly the same problem as user Anders accept i bought the Logitech C910 HD Webcam as you recommended.
I have tried it on operating systems Win XP SP1 / SP3 - Win 7 / SP 1 and i get the same error message as Anders.
The computer i use is a Dell D610 Laptop.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Glad i just see this message as was just about to purchase the Logitech after all attempts this weekend with the Microsoft cam have failed with the same reported error :-(

Totally stuck for ideas now, assume some kind of update has removed the connection API on windows since the initial testing was conducted?

Regards,
Sam

studiocarlsson.se
September 20th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Now i'm so tired of testing everything to get the program to work.
Since i have been working professionell with computer problems for 20 years now and i feel like a amateur for the moment so i'm on my way to choose another program.
The only lifeline i have found is that (how much i hated it) i tried installing Windows Vista and it worked perfect direct without any upgrades at all.

So if the developers of photobooth have possibilities to check what has happened between Win XP and Windows 7 there must be some differences in the modules/graphics the program accesses.

Hope this will give some idea since i will not use Phootobooth on a Windows vista in the future.

kind regards
Johnny

Chris Breeze
September 20th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I've just tested Webcam Photobooth v1.2 on a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and it works fine. I simply plugged in the Microsoft LifeCam Studio camera, waited for Windows to install the drivers and then ran Webcam Photobooth. I also tested it with the Microsoft LifeCam Cinema, Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 and Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 and they all worked without any problems.

I don't have clean installs of Windows XP Pro or Windows Vista available at the moment, but all four webcams still work on my various test systems running XP and Vista.