PDA

View Full Version : Shinko + DSLR remote = color issues

fortinaa
October 5th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Has anyone else had issues with a shinko s2145 and the photobooth software? When I combine the two, I get a very magenta shift in my prints. When I correct it via the printer's color correction, the white portion of the strips go greenish/yellow. When I print direct from Windows, I don't see this issue. When I tether to lightroom and print from there, still no issue. It seems to be something with the photobooth software and the print driver. I've messed with all kinds of settings and can't get a good result without adding printer correction, which then screws up the "white." I provide digital files, so I don't want to try to shift the color on my camera, as that will leave me having to edit and correct all those files after the fact. I have checked the images on Spyder and xrite calibrated screens as well.

Any thoughts?

Any ways to do test prints right from DSLR remote without actually running the photobooth? As I said, I go print the saved image from Windows, and it's fine..... so I can't use that method.

Chris Breeze
October 6th, 2011, 10:28 AM
The latest version, DSLR Remote Pro for Windows v2.3, supports color management when printing. If you have a suitable color profile for the printer you may find you get better results if you enable color management in DSLR Remote Pro.

fortinaa
October 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Chris,

I've found the color management selection. When I open it, the only profile that pops up is actually my monitor profile that the calibration software created. Would this be similar to soft proofing in photoshop where I have to get the lab (printers) profile, store it, then select it in the software as the color management profile? It's just very odd to have such a large color shift in one application.

Chris Breeze
October 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
The monitor profile is only used for the color management of images displayed in the main window. For photobooth printing you need to specify suitable profiles for the camera (e.g. sRGB) and the printer.

carroll1
November 3rd, 2011, 12:37 PM
I too noticed this problem when Shinkos were our primary. I commented on this forum about it as well, to no avail.

Seems like there are more options now, but not worth the hassle in my opinion.

It's very odd to me that Shinkos do this, and others do not. I thought my white balance was off until I realized that printing outside the program was fine.

jamiebodie
March 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Has this problem been solved? I am looking into buying a Shinko printer.

Jamie

Chris Breeze
March 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I don't think there is a problem. It's just a question of setting up the printer correctly e.g. either setting the color management in the printer driver to "Printer manages colors" or using an appropriate printer color profile if the PC manages the colors.

jamiebodie
March 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks Chris, I have seen the settings that you are referring to in your post. Do you have any idea what these setting should be or how I would find out what they need to be? I have never changed any of these settings before and don't really know what I am doing if I start making changes.

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Chris Breeze
March 26th, 2012, 11:14 AM
It depends on the printer and the version of Windows. On Windows 7 you can select "Devices and Printers" from the Start menu and then right click on the printer to select "Printing preferences" or "Printer properties". The manual for the printer should have information on how to set this up.