PDA

View Full Version : Live view overlay in webcam?

photo_ells
October 10th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hi Chris

I have been playing around with the webcam software and the green screen for a new project I'm working on but I can't seem to get the live view overlay to work.

I need it to work so that it masks out not only the width (which I can do with the cropping) but also the height of the live view feed, this is due to the application it is being used crops the image smaller in a cutting stage after it's printed in both the height and width as a bleed is needed plus there is a frame around the image or a banner/slogan on the image which may change from one shot to another so I need to show the client where this area is so they don't hide behind it.

I have tried using PNG files named live_view_overlay.png with a transparency set to the same size ratio as the camera's resolution (microsoft studio) with the height of the PNG being the same as the live view height in the settings (in this case 480px) but it never shows up on the full screen booth mode, is there something I'm missing. I have the latest version 1.3 installed.

Thanks

E.

Chris Breeze
October 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
When green screen is enabled the overlay needs to be named greenscreen_overlay.png (or greenscreen_overlay_1.png, greenscreen_overlay_2.png, greenscreen_overlay_3.png etc. if you're using different overlays for each shot). The overlay is applied to both the live view display and the green screened images.

photo_ells
October 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hi Chris, thank you for the reply.

I have already got a greenscreen_overlay_1.png and greenscreen_overlay_2.png that show up correctly with the transparency when printed and also in the preview screen after the images are taken but not in the live view. I have also tried using a live_view_overlay.png without the greenscreen switched on and it still doesn't show up. The greenscreen background shows up correctly in the live view just not the overlays.

It's got me quite perplexed as I'm sure I have tried using a live_view_overlay.png in PSRemote before and have had it working.

Thanks

Chris Breeze
October 11th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I've just tested it on my system and it appears to be working correctly. Are you using the latest version, Webcam Photobooth v1.3?

photo_ells
October 11th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Yes, i'm using version 1.3, I'll try to reinstall and see if that helps at all.

photo_ells
October 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Just reinstalled and it's still doing the same. The overlays for the green screen are showing up on the preview image and the prints/saved green-screened files but not the live view. The live view overlay doesn't show up at all with or without green screen switched on.

I have also tried it on v1.2 on the backup laptop and it's also doing the same.

Perhaps there's something wrong with my PNG files? They have transparent areas in the layer and are created with photoshop CS5. I am a bit confused as they work just fine in the green-screened saved images and show up in the preview just fine, so not sure what I could have done wrong in creating them.

LorneChesal
October 12th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Just reinstalled and it's still doing the same. The overlays for the green screen are showing up on the preview image and the prints/saved green-screened files but not the live view. The live view overlay doesn't show up at all with or without green screen switched on.

I have also tried it on v1.2 on the backup laptop and it's also doing the same.

Perhaps there's something wrong with my PNG files? They have transparent areas in the layer and are created with photoshop CS5. I am a bit confused as they work just fine in the green-screened saved images and show up in the preview just fine, so not sure what I could have done wrong in creating them.

Do your PNG's have any other color than black in them? I was never able to get my overlay to work until I had at least 1 non-black (ie 0,0,0) pixel in them somewhere. Even though they show as 24 bit PNGs, the software doesn't seem to recognize them unless there is that 1 non-black pixel.

photo_ells
October 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Lorne you are a star, it works! It requires some colour information rather than just 0,0,0 or 255, 255, 255.

As I was only testing it out I didn't go to town so the overlay simply contained black for the image mask area and white text in black box as the overlay in the image area. As soon as I changed the text box area to red it worked!

I was getting so stumped as it worked for part of the software i.e. the image preview and printing/saving but not the live view.

Thanks again

Elliott

LorneChesal
October 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Lorne you are a star, it works! It requires some colour information rather than just 0,0,0 or 255, 255, 255.

As I was only testing it out I didn't go to town so the overlay simply contained black for the image mask area and white text in black box as the overlay in the image area. As soon as I changed the text box area to red it worked!

I was getting so stumped as it worked for part of the software i.e. the image preview and printing/saving but not the live view.

Thanks again

Elliott

glad to help.