PDA

View Full Version : 'Size Different' Errors

dhphoto
April 30th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I'm getting this error message often. Usually in high pressure location situations!

It refuses to download the 'size different' files, although they seem fine (backed up on SD card in 1D2). I'm using either RAW alone, or RAW + small jpeg, it doesn't seem to matter, errors both times.

Is this a known error?

David

Chris Breeze
May 2nd, 2005, 04:35 PM
You get this error when you try to download a file when there is already one of the same name but a different size in the download directory. The most common causes of this are:

1) Embedding profiles in JPEGs using the plug-in and not selecting "ignore file size check..." in DLPro's preferences. Adding a profile changes the file size and so DLPro can no longer compare the sizes of the image on the CF card and the downloaded image.

2) Downloading the files, modifying them in another app (which changes the file size) and then trying to download the same files again.

3) Specifying download filenames which result in duplicate filenames (different files with the same download name). e.g. setting the download filename to %d will cause problems because you will get many images with the same download name. Using something like %d_%t_%r will be far less likely to result in duplicate names.

Please check the settings you're using because the error message is warning you that something is wrong. DLPro will never overwrite an existing file and so if the download filenames are duplicated the files won't download.

dhphoto
May 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
I'm not embedding any profiles but I have enabled the resolution plugin, perhaps that is doing it. I don't alter the filenames at all.

It generally happens on location when I stop shooting to download the latest shots from a disk that has already has shots downloaded. As you say I have not lost pictures.

The option to "ignore file size check..." is grayed so I can't change it.

Great program

David

Chris Breeze
May 3rd, 2005, 12:58 PM
The JPEG resolution plug-in doesn't affect the file size. The "Ignore file size..." option is set and grayed out if you have JPEG auto-rotate selected or you are adding IPTC data because these affect the file size. I'm a bit puzzled because if "Ignore file size..." is selected you shouldn't get any "Size different" messages because this disables them. You'd quite likely get "Time different" messages if the files have been modified and you try to download them again or the renaming is not giving unique filenames.

dhphoto
May 3rd, 2005, 02:42 PM
I will let you know when it happens again. I definitely got the error recently when none of the shots I took for a whole day were in portrait mode. I was simply downloading the new shots from the CF card (via a cardbus) every 20 minutes or so as a failsafe

By the way, do I need to set auto-rotate if I have this function on in my 1D2 or 20D (i.e. they are appearing in portrait format on the camera's LCD screen)??

David

Chris Breeze
May 4th, 2005, 07:13 AM
It depends on your browser and image editor. The camera auto-rotate sets the EXIF orientation value and doesn't rotate the actual image data. BB and BBPro read the EXIF orientation and display JPEGs correctly oriented, but many apps don't read this yet. I never use the auto-rotate feature in DLPro except for testing.