PDA

View Full Version : Flickering from Full Screen Mode to desktop - Almost ruined event

carroll1
November 4th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Key Equipment:

-Touchscreen Monitor
-Keyboard
-Revo Computer
-PSRemote (Version: tbd)

One of our booths was out last weekend and ran into the following problem:

-Booth was running fine for first 1.5 hours, have never had issues with this booth before, not recently updated
-A couple sessions in after dinner (booth kept on the whole time) a customer initiated a session and then the "full screen photobooth mode" started to flicker. More specifically, the full screen images were showing but it was flickering rapidly to what you would see if you were to escape out of the full screen mode by escaping to the desktop. The employee was able to click the start button in the corner and then the flickering would stop. If he clicked PSRemote on the taskbar, it would go back to full screen and the flickering would resume.

He completely shut down the computer and restarted, to no avail.

What seemed to correct the issue was unplugging the monitor usb and plugging it back in, while the computer was on. HOWEVER, I'm highly suspect that this was the issue because we have been unable to reproduce the issue.

Any thoughts on what would cause full screen to flicker back and forth to the desktop?

I know I don't have a ton of information yet, I'm trying to resolve this with a booth that is not in my hands yet.

Thanks

Chris Breeze
November 5th, 2011, 12:11 PM
It sounds like it may be a hardware problem with the display adaptor. It might be worth trying to connect the monitor to a VGA, DVI or HDMI port as this is likely to be faster and more reliable than a display adaptor connected via USB.

carroll1
November 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Display was connected via VGA.

Chris Breeze
November 7th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Display was connected via VGA.

Sorry, I thought you meant the video connection was via USB. Presumably the monitor USB connection is for a touchscreen:

What seemed to correct the issue was unplugging the monitor usb and plugging it back in, while the computer was on. HOWEVER, I'm highly suspect that this was the issue because we have been unable to reproduce the issue.

The fact that the problem only occurred after 1.5 hours and that it is difficult to reproduce suggests that it is more likely to be a hardware problem rather than software. One possibility is the computer was getting too hot.