PDA

View Full Version : "Camera delay (shutter lag in 1/10 sec):" option in DSLR Remote Pro v2.3

ptsan
January 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Chris, will you be adding that feature to DSLR Remote as well? I've been testing it out and I noticed the delay in when the countdown ends/WAV is played and the extra second or so that the photo is actually taken.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm searching and I'm only seeing others using PSRemote with this issue.

Thanks!

Chris Breeze
January 18th, 2012, 09:47 AM
You can get a delay of a second or more if you're using auto-focus. Also, the camera won't take the photo of AF can't lock. If you set the camera to manual focus there should be very little delay before it takes the photo.

ptsan
January 18th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, Chris.

I actually have it set on MF. I'm using a Canon T3.

alexsiskahn
January 19th, 2012, 12:16 AM
"Has anyone else had this problem? "

No, something is wrong with your computer, I've used many different dslr's and they never give me an issue.

ptsan
January 19th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I'm using a brand new desktop with no other software installed. The T3 is brand new as well. I turned off the AF because sometimes it would error if not in focus. I read the forums and the recommendation was to turn off AF. I'll try to make a video in the next day or so but my evaluation period may be over. I'll see if i can recreate the issue on another desktop.

mikedavis
January 19th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I have experienced a delay in taking a picture on several occasions and it always happens during heavy usage. Try increasing the amount of time between shots to about 8 seconds and also reduce the image size. The photo strip images are real small about 1/4 megapixel 400x600 pixels each, so you dont need to take a super large image. I use a canon t2i camera 18 megapixel max but I set it to 4.5 or 8 megapixel, and 8 seconds between shots. If your still having problems use a higher performance memory card if your not doing so already.

Mike

ptsan
January 19th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks Mike.

I'll try those adjustments. I don't even have a memory card in the camera. I'll try one and see if that makes a difference as well.

Chris Breeze
January 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM
You only need a memory card in the camera if you're shooting video. In stills mode the photos are downloaded to the computer and don't need to saved to the camera's memory card.

scottishmovies
May 16th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Hi Chris,

I've noticed a delay on my setup as well recently. I noticed it since I updated to dlsremote 2.3.2
It seems that at the start of an event it seems fine - no delay from the taking screen to the flash. But after a period of time, there is a significant delay. So much so that the live view is frozen and then the flash goes off after few seconds delay. And the delay to print has also increased.

I've changed my usb cables for both the camera and the printer (just in case). I've got the picture setting at the smallest setting with a 5 second delay.
Any ideas what else I might try?

Cheers,
Pat

Chris Breeze
May 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Does Windows Task Manager show anything unusual e.g. excessive CPU or memory usage?

scottishmovies
June 11th, 2012, 12:37 AM
Hi Chris,

No, checked all that and nothing strange shows up.
When looking at ome of the output it looks liek the flash hasn;t fired but I know it has - I wathed it go off!
But the screen freeeezes at "taking.jpg" for a second or longer sometimes then the flash goes off.

I'm using a usb extension lead between the pc and printer to get the cable outside the booth to where the printer is - could this affect it?
It's a usb 2.0 certified extension lead. But even if that was the case why does it affect the taking of the picture rather than the printing!!??

This is dricing me insane now as I've changed everything on th system to try and eliminate it but hve had no success yet.
Any help appreciated????

Regards,
Pat

ps I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade to 2.4.1 unless that would fix these issues.

Chris Breeze
June 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Does the flash go off and the camera take the picture at the end of the countdown or is there a delay (if so how long is the delay)?
Do you get the same problem if you use the photobooth setup wizard to create the screens?
What might be happening is the live view display from the camera stops when it takes a photos and doesn't restart until the photos has been saved to the computer. If you don't define a release.jpg screen the last live view frame will be displayed on screen for several seconds while the picture is being taken and the image file is downloaded to the PC.

scottishmovies
June 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Does the flash go off and the camera take the picture at the end of the countdown or is there a delay (if so how long is the delay)?
Do you get the same problem if you use the photobooth setup wizard to create the screens?
What might be happening is the live view display from the camera stops when it takes a photos and doesn't restart until the photos has been saved to the computer. If you don't define a release.jpg screen the last live view frame will be displayed on screen for several seconds while the picture is being taken and the image file is downloaded to the PC.

The 1.jpg is displayed with the countdown, then taking.jpg followed by the picture shortly after that (well 1 second) and for most pictures that seems to be ok. I don't have a release.jpg and it seemed to work fine without one before I upgraded. what happens when it goes wrong is that it freezes the live view at the taking.jpg then after a pause the flash foes off but the picture that has been captured is the one taken without the flash. I haven't changed anything other than upgrading the software so why would it now be as a result of not haing a release.jpg? Or not using the wizard?

It doesn't happen all the time, say on 100 prints it maybe happens about 10 individual shots.

BTW I didn't use the wizard for creating the screens - will this make a difference? And when is the release.jpg used? Should it just be a message screen or what?

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve this although I feel I should naybe have started a new thread now !

Cheers,
Pat

alexsiskahn
June 13th, 2012, 01:04 AM
using on camera flash can cause delays if there are black clothes in the photo then the flash takes extra long to recycle.

Chris Breeze
June 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
The 1.jpg is displayed with the countdown, then taking.jpg followed by the picture shortly after that (well 1 second) and for most pictures that seems to be ok. I don't have a release.jpg and it seemed to work fine without one before I upgraded. what happens when it goes wrong is that it freezes the live view at the taking.jpg then after a pause the flash foes off but the picture that has been captured is the one taken without the flash. I haven't changed anything other than upgrading the software so why would it now be as a result of not haing a release.jpg? Or not using the wizard?

It doesn't happen all the time, say on 100 prints it maybe happens about 10 individual shots.

BTW I didn't use the wizard for creating the screens - will this make a difference? And when is the release.jpg used? Should it just be a message screen or what?

Thanks for your help in trying to resolve this although I feel I should naybe have started a new thread now !

Cheers,
Pat

The flash is connected to the camera and triggered by the camera when it takes a picture. How the screens are defined and whether you have a release.jpg screen or not won't affect the flash. If the camera occasionally takes a photo without flash it could be because the flash hasn't had time to charge after the previous shot (as mentioned in the previous post) or there could be a problem with the connection between the camera and the flash.

I normally use a blank screen for the release.jpg just to remove the frozen live view.

scottishmovies
June 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm still puzzled how it misses the flash when it could be the first shot in a sequence. So, the first set of people have gone into the booth, had a sequence of 4 shots, everything's fine, left the booth - second set of people go in and the first shot could mis-fire, or the second, third, or fourth - sometimes 2 of them! Never usually more than 2.

I'm using the built-in flash not an external one. Even so, if the delay is 5 seconds between them are you suggesting that perhaps this might need to be extended to allow the flash to recycle? As for the relase.jpg, if this releases the live view after a shot that doesn't appear to be the problem - it does get released after the flash goes off - it's just that the flash doesn't go off when the picture is taken. But I'll try it anyway to see if it makes any difference.

Are there are guidelines to how long the timing between shots hsould be to allow the flash to recycle? Is 5 seconds not enough?

Thanks for your help - appreciate it!
Pat

Chris Breeze
June 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't think the built-in flash charges until you half-press the shutter release or take a photo. If the built-in flash isn't charged the camera should wait until it is charged before taking the photo which could take several seconds (this might depend on the exposure mode being used). The time it takes to recharge the flash after each shot will depend on the state of the camera batteries and how much flash power was used in the last shot.

It's worth considering using a simple studio flash connected to the camera via a hotshoe to PC adapter. This will be more powerful than the camera's built-in flash, will recycle faster and should give better lighting.

scottishmovies
June 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I realise what you mean about the battery power etc but it's running off mains power.

And I could use a studio flash but what I don't understand is why was it okay before the upgrade to 2.3.2? - nothing has changed with the equipment other than the upgrade?

Chris Breeze
June 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM
The built-in flash is completely controlled by the camera and I can't think of any changes in the software which could affect the way it works.