PDA

View Full Version : 20D camera with Windows 7 Professional

mfphoto
February 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I need to get a new computer, but I don't want to purchase a new camera.

I am currently running Windows XP with my Canon 20D. It is my understanding there is not a driver for this camera for windows 7. All new computers come with Windows 7. If I upgrade to 7 Professional, which has an XP mode, will I still be able to use my 20D?

Chris Breeze
February 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM
You can control a 20D using 32-bit Windows 7. To do this you need to install Canon's 20D drivers for Windows Vista.
You can't control the camera using 64-bit Windows 7 because there are no drivers available.

PhotoJames
March 2nd, 2012, 11:43 PM
I have a 20d that I wanted to use for a photo booth. The computer that I bought had 7 on it and I even upgraded to 7 pro to run in xp mode. I spent a lot of time and ended up frustrated. I bought a T3i and it works like a charm.

My advice would be to save up and buy a new camera or buy a P&S and run PSRemote.

mfphoto
March 26th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Is this the same case as with the 20D? How do I get my 5D to work with windows 7 (64 Bit) What driver would I download.

Chris Breeze
March 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Is this the same case as with the 20D?
Yes. Unfortunately new versions of Windows have different driver requirements and camera manufacturers tend not to issue new drivers for old models. Please see this page for information about camera models and different versions of Windows:
http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/features.htm#cameras

How do I get my 5D to work with windows 7 (64 Bit) What driver would I download.
AFAIK it is not possible because the 5D Mark I requires separate drivers to be installed and Canon don't provide 5D drivers for 64-bit Windows 7.

mfphoto
April 4th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Just wanted to do a follow up on this thread.

I purchased a new computer which of course has Windows 7 - 64bit.

I had my computer guy load windows 7 professional - 32 bit. Although I am still playing with it, both my Canon 5D & 20D (with Vista Driver) seem to be working.

Chris Breeze
April 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM
The Vista drivers for both cameras should work on 32-bit Windows 7 but not on 64-bit Windows 7.