PDA

View Full Version : Best possible processing time with PSRemote

bearyw
March 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
What is the fastest possible processing time for PSRemote?

My system is an old Pentium 4, running at 2.4GHz with 512mb of ram. My first attempt was using a Canon Powershot G6 (usb 1.1). My total processing time pre-printing was about a minute.

I upgraded the camera to a Canon Powershot G7 (usb 2) and added a USB 2.0 PCI card. After upgrading, I saw no noticeable speed increase and the processing time pre-printing was about the same at 1 minute.

I have tried all the recommended adjustments with no decrease in the processing time. Is speeding up the processing time even possible? Do I need more memory? (PSRemote is the only program installed and running, as this PC is dedicated to my photobooth) Do I need to get a faster computer, and if so, how much difference could I expect?

My printer is a Canon ip4820, prints in about 30-45 secs and that print time is pretty constant.

Chris Breeze
March 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
It's possible that lack of RAM is causing Windows to run slow. Windows Task Manager should show whether the computer is low on memory. I'd recommend a minimum of 2GB RAM.

PhotoJames
March 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM
It's more than likely the fact that you are using an inkjet printer. What is the pixel resolution of your print layout? I'd bet it's pretty huge. That is one of the advantages of a dye sub, great prints and small file sizes.

alexsiskahn
March 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM
TWO things effect processing time!
1. the image size setting. Always set it on SMALL normal for fastest processing.
2. even more important is the printer resolution. INK jets are Horrible with high resolutions of 600dpi typically. Best to use a Dye sub AND small paper size like 2x6 for fastest print times.

by changing those two things you will see your processing times cut in half.

bearyw
March 15th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I will take all of these suggestions to heart. I think I will start with memory and reduce the image size.

alexsiskahn
March 15th, 2012, 10:56 AM
deffinetely upgrade to at least 1gb of ram, 2gb is ideal and it is not that expensiv.e

bearyw
March 15th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Ok, I upgraded the RAM to 2gb. This did nothing to reduce the processing time, I'm not even sure it sped up the OS but what the heck RAM is cheap.

I reduced the image size that the camera takes the photo from large-normal to medium2-normal and the processing time was reduced to half, and this is with my Canon ip4820 inkjet printer. Later I will connect it to a Mitsubishi Photo CP-D70DW and see how much faster I can get it.

I'm still wondering what is the best possible speed one could achieve and with what equipment.

alexsiskahn
March 16th, 2012, 02:49 AM
10 seconds or so with any 2x6" dye sub printer. like sony or shinko.

Note that I said a 2x6" printer, not a printer that creates a 4x6" file and then cuts it in half like the Hiti or DNP.

that being said this whole exercise is purely academic once the printing time is less than 20 seconds, it is faster than the line moves through the booth.

So even if you could get it down to 2 seconds it would be pointless.

apples
March 16th, 2012, 08:38 PM
15 -seconds.

550D DSLR (mid setting) - DNP - i3 - 3GB

45 -seconds

550D DSLR (mid setting) - DNP - Atom - 1GB

bearyw
March 21st, 2012, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the time differences Apples, that was on my mind. And since my Pentium 4 is as fast as the Atom, looks like I'll be switching over to an old P4mobile to help lighten my load.

I think 45 secs to 1 minute is sufficient considering what is going on in the meantime.

apples
March 23rd, 2012, 09:31 PM
45 seconds is far too slow for commercial events.

At our events people often have their hand waiting for the prints even at 15-seconds - even if you have the processing screen holding for 10 secs, they don't read it . . . . . . and are outside waiting.

xr4ti
April 3rd, 2012, 07:09 PM
+1 to what Apples said. I run the new i5 Mac Mini, 8GB ram, Windows 7 Pro, SSD, Canon G10 superfine. After the last photo it's literally ready for the next session, I had to build in a 10 second delay so they know to exit the booth.

Dani
April 22nd, 2012, 10:24 PM
Alexis, if only 2 things affect processing (size of photos being saved, and printer type, i.e. dye sub versus inkjet) then why did you also add RAM could be improved? So do you believe available RAM is a factor that affects processing time?

We use a Sony UPC-CX1 and I believe our print time is like 13 seconds for 4 by 8 inch prints. Even when there is a huge line, people are always saying "when are the pictures coming" as if it takes forever. I'm wondering if there is a faster printer. We don't want to use smaller format paper like the 4 by 6 inch. If this has been addressed at length elsewhere, please forgive me and point me to a good thread? thank you.

We have our PSremote set to save the photos at highest resoluton (I forget if this is called "superfine" or "large") because we want the highest dpi possible for custom individual frame reprints and enlargements. We realize this may not matter for web applications or for the small frames on a photostrip, but it is important to us for an enlargements, which we get requests for a lot. Our current "processing" time is probably under 1 minute, but either the "taking" screen (or maybe it is called "release" screen) is sooooooo slow. We have the words "Smile and Look Up" listed on this screen but it persists several seconds (close to 3-4 full seconds) after the flash has fired. Finally, the live view of the photo that was just taken will display, but meanwhile people in the booth are confused and "holding their pose" for 4 seconds! Any thoughts on what is causing the delay on this screen? We are using a Canon S5 IS. I read somewhere that PSremote processes photos based on the type of camera. Is the S5IS known to be slow to process and has this "delay" on the taking screen?

We have a lot of programs and files on our harddrive; what is a quick diagnostic of RAM, or "overall health" of the machine? I have a sneaking hunch it is the file size we are saving that we could try manipulating first....We also haven't performed a software update lately. ??

any thoughts on this much appreciated. bearyw: let us know if things improve or you play around with stuff. btw: what is the p4mobile?

thank you!

alexsiskahn
April 23rd, 2012, 05:10 AM
Your customers are getting long waits/poor service due to you downloading huge 8Megapixel images.
But you justify this because people want to have those huge files to make enlargements?

99% of consumer reprints are never bigger than a 4x6. Don't believe me, go down to your local photo lab and ask them.

Sounds like the cure is worse than the disease. From a business perspective you are loosing money because people see your service as long waits/poor vs the competition. No one is going to go around bragging about their 8MP high rez files, they will just tell everyone that was the slowest booth they have ever been in. My guess is you gain 1 anal person who wants high rez files and loose 3 due to long waits/poor service. The math is not in your favor.

Ram effects everything and it is cheap to upgrade, so it's always recommended.

Camera has little to do with processing times. Sounds like you have a USB 1.0 hub, make sure your pc has a faster usb 2.0 port.

p4 mobile is a very old computer processor (pentium Mobile 4)

buy a back up pc and install everythign on it and see if things improve.

Dani
April 28th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Hi Alexsis,

Yes, we have a 1.0 USB ports, not 2.0. I don't know how to determine if the machine will accept a PCI card to upgrade to 2.0. It is an MPC all in one. Our processor is: Intel (R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz. Operating System XP, build 5.1. RAM: 2.0 GB. "Page file" 461 MG used out of 3477 available. C drive: 652 GB of free space available.

PS remote running version 2.1.

I list all of this because after adjusting the size/quality setting to something more appropriate, like "Medium1/normal" our flow has greatly improved, but I have completed some timed sets and our printer speed is actually waaaayyyy slower than I thought. Again, running the UPCCX1 with only 2000 prints on the head. Great machine but I've noticed it takes at least 10-14 seconds for the information to be sent to the printer (the printer actually begins the actual printing after approximately 10-14 seconds; then it continues with the devestatingly slow 21 second print job on the 4 by 8 paper we like).

A couple thoughts:

First: Does size/quality file affect the data transfer to printer? I assume so. What settings do you use? Small/normal? Medium3/fine? Please advise. There are 3 or 4 different medium settings.

Second: Could we upgrade our USB ports for better data transfer do you think? If so, easy way to determine if this MPC can accommodate that upgrade?

Third: Should I upgrade to more RAM? Should I consider upgrading a new processor or in that case, just ditch the MPC and go new or reburbished?

Fourth: Aside from switching to a different printer or 4 by 6 paper (which still takes 40 seconds from processing screen to final print - I did the test), any other thoughts on decreasing print time or time for data to be sent to printer?

Finally: Imaging Spectrums has a fantastic printer comparison chart. Anybody out there using the Mitsubishi's or the HiTis and can you tell me any thoughts or experiences you have had with them?

Thank you so much. May re-post elsewhere if this is not the appropriate spot.

Thank you.

Dani
April 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM
15 -seconds.

550D DSLR (mid setting) - DNP - i3 - 3GB

45 -seconds

550D DSLR (mid setting) - DNP - Atom - 1GB

Hi Apples,
Can you tell me the processing speed of the i3? Which DNP are you using and do you like it?

Dani
April 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
10 seconds or so with any 2x6" dye sub printer. like sony or shinko.

Note that I said a 2x6" printer, not a printer that creates a 4x6" file and then cuts it in half like the Hiti or DNP.

that being said this whole exercise is purely academic once the printing time is less than 20 seconds, it is faster than the line moves through the booth.

So even if you could get it down to 2 seconds it would be pointless.

Hi Alexsis,

forgive me if this is a stupid question - I don't understand what you mean: "a 2x6" printer, not a printer that creates a 4x6" file and then cuts it in half." I realize several printers have the driver to cut 4 x6 " paper into two 2x6" cuts. What printer allows for a direct load of 2 by 6 inch paper? I have not heard of this before. I'm wondering if I misunderstood what you mean. Thanks!

alexsiskahn
May 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM
SEE RESPONSES BELOW IN CAPS.
Yes, we have a 1.0 USB ports, not 2.0. I don't know how to determine if the machine will accept a PCI card to upgrade to 2.0. It is an MPC all in one.
BUY A PCMCIA TO USB 2.0 ADAPTER CARD. THOUGH THAT MACHINE DOES HAVE NATIVE USB 2.0 DRIVERS SOMETIMES THEY ARE HARD TO INSTALL.
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE USB DRIVERS ONLINE AT MPCDRIVERS.COM

I've noticed it takes at least 10-14 seconds for the information to be sent to the printer (the printer actually begins the actual printing after approximately 10-14 seconds; then it continues with the devestatingly slow 21 second print job on the 4 by 8 paper we like).
WELL THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SONY ADVERTISES FOR THAT SIZE OF PAPER. IT'S NOT GOING TO GET ANY FASTER THAN 21 SECONDS REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DO. THE SPOOL TIME OF 10 TO 14 SECONDS CAN BE IMPROVED BY GETTING A FASTER HARD DRIVE, BUT ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS REALLY GONNA BE HAPPIER WITH A 5 SECOND IMPROVEMENT IN SPOOL TIME?

First: Does size/quality file affect the data transfer to printer? I assume so. SORRY NO, YOU ARE INCORRECT IN YOUR ASSUMPTION. IT AFFECTS HOW LONG THE SOFTWARE TAKES TO CREATE THE LAYOUT.

Second: Could we upgrade our USB ports for better data transfer do you think? If so, easy way to determine if this MPC can accommodate that upgrade? SEE ABOVE

Third: Should I upgrade to more RAM? Should I consider upgrading a new processor or in that case, just ditch the MPC and go new or reburbished? THERE'S NOT TOO MANY PROCESSORS THAT ARE FASTER THAN 3GHZ AND HOW MUCH MONEY ARE YOU WILLING TO BLOW AT THIS ISSUE THE MAX AMOUNT OF TIME YOU COULD IMPROVE ON IS ABOUT 13 SECONDS FASTER THEORETICALLY PER PRINT, MORE LIKELY 5 OR 6 SECONDS.

Fourth: Aside from switching to a different printer or 4 by 6 paper (which still takes 40 seconds from processing screen to final print - I did the test), any other thoughts on decreasing print time or time for data to be sent to printer? SET QUALITY TO SMALL , NOT MEDIUM.

Finally: Imaging Spectrums has a fantastic printer comparison chart. Anybody out there using the Mitsubishi's or the HiTis and can you tell me any thoughts or experiences you have had with them?
THE CHART IS ACCURATE.

LASTLY THE ONLY PRINET I KNOW OF THAT SENDS A 2X6 RESOLUTION STRIP TO THE PRINTER IS THE DISCONTINUED SONY UPDR200.
THE DNP DSRX1, HITIPL510 BOTH SEND 4X6 RESOLUTION FILES WHICH ARE TWICE AS BIG AS A 2X6 AND THUS TAKE TWICE AS LONG TO PROCESS.