PDA

View Full Version : Canon xsi won't connect to computer

meauxjeauxphoto
March 20th, 2012, 04:14 AM
i hope somebody can help me....my cameras working fine but when i plug it into my computer the screen(on camera) says busy then goes dark..

i have tried resetting the camera back to default setting to see if i accidently changed something in there ..
i also reloaded my cameras software that came with the camera..
i have used 3 different cords for camera to comp..
i have tried with and without memory card..
i have used the troubleshooting from breeze site their is one of them i cant seem to find on my camera that is a communication setting...
i have restarted the computer and the camera multiple times
I have used a freshly charged battery and the external power cord on the camera

..i need to get this solved and im tired and cant think to clearly right now. I'm really hoping there is not a problem with the camera itself..

Chris Breeze
March 20th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Does Windows detect the camera when it is connected to the computer? Normally a Windows AutoPlay dialog should pop up. If Windows detects the camera but it still won't connect you could try uninstalling the device driver using Device Manager in the System section of Windows Control Panel (the device driver will be reloaded automatically the next time the camera is connected). If it still isn't working you may have a faulty USB cable, faulty USB port on the computer or a faulty camera. Try using a different USB cable, a different USB port on the computer or a different camera.

meauxjeauxphoto
March 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Does Windows detect the camera when it is connected to the computer? Normally a Windows AutoPlay dialog should pop up. If Windows detects the camera but it still won't connect you could try uninstalling the device driver using Device Manager in the System section of Windows Control Panel (the device driver will be reloaded automatically the next time the camera is connected). If it still isn't working you may have a faulty USB cable, faulty USB port on the computer or a faulty camera. Try using a different USB cable, a different USB port on the computer or a different camera.

I switched ports ..is my screen on camera supposed to go dark when I plug it in comp?...freaking out over nothing cause when I run it in photobooth mode it seems to be working fine..But at one point it was just saying it was busy..

Yes my comp does popup the auto play screen

LorneChesal
March 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks ..is my screen on camera supposed to go dark when I plug it in comp?...maybe I'm freaking out over nothing cause when I run it in photobooth mode it seems to be working fine..

I think this is the *correct* behaviour.

Remember, you aren't tethering the camera and remotely shooting with it and controlling it by default. When you plug it in, Windows sees it as a storage device only. That's probably why the screen is blank.

When you fire up an application like Breeze, that application, not Windows is going in and grabbing a live view and so on. Windows still sees only the storage on board the camera and displays that as a drive in explorer.