PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Remote Pro for Windows v2.4 beta 1

Chris Breeze
March 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
DSLR Remote Pro for Windows v2.4 beta 1 is now available for download from: http://www.breezesys.com/downloads/dslrp240beta1.exe

This beta release has the following enhancements:

New Photobooth Setup Wizard which automatically creates all the screens and the print layout for common photobooth configurations.
New "clicker mode" where the photographer or users choose when to take the photos in photobooth mode.
Added an option to include the current printer settings when saving the photobooth settings to file. This makes it possible for a photo booth to use different printers or printer settings for each profile e.g. profile 1 might print a double strip of four photos on a dyesub printer which can cut 6x2 strips from 6x4 paper, profile 2 could use the same printer to print a 2x2 layout on 6x4 paper and profile 3 could print a single large photo on 6x9 paper using a different printer.
Added a timed shutter release option to the remote interface. This makes it possible for other applications to control timed bulb exposures of bursts of continuous shooting.

This release also fixes a problem when using a default profile to switch from video to stills photobooth mode when rejecting a video.

Please note that this is a beta version which hasn't been as thoroughly tested as a full release. Please let me know if you find any problems or have any suggestions on how to improve the new features.

alexsiskahn
April 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
this is a really nice feature set.
My suggestions is to make the default screens WHITE with BLACK text. This gives enough light off the LCD screen so the live view is useable even in dark environments.
With a black background in a dark room, you must have supplemental lighting for the live video feed to work.

Also the release screen has never been my favorite because if it is anything other than BLANK people tend to look at it instead of the camera. For new users I'd recommend they delete it.

I always have my taking screen say.
LOOK AT THE CAMERA AND WAIT FOR THE FLASH TO FIRE.

If you dont' have this people are typically confused as to when the photo is taken. I'd recommend the default Taking.jpg screen say this instead of being blank.

Hopefully this function set works it's way into all the current software, NKremote, MacRemote, PsRemote, WebCamRemote, etc.

I dont' quite understand the last improvement "Added a timed shutter release option to the remote interface. This makes it possible for other applications to control timed bulb exposures of bursts of continuous shooting." What would be a practical useage of bulb exposures and continuous shooting?

admin
April 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I dont' quite understand the last improvement "Added a timed shutter release option to the remote interface. This makes it possible for other applications to control timed bulb exposures of bursts of continuous shooting." What would be a practical useage of bulb exposures and continuous shooting?
This isn't useful for photobooth shooting. It's intended for people who are using DSLR Remote Pro for time lapse shooting and other applications.

alexsiskahn
April 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
I was surprised to see that the XML file is not saved after the wizard is complete. Anyone with intermediate computer skills could easily save one.
But this wizard is for new/beginners and I'd recommend the wizard create it automatically to help the beginners out.

LorneChesal
April 4th, 2012, 09:48 PM
hi Chris...

can you elaborate on the first new feature?

New "clicker mode" where the photographer or users choose when to take the photos in photobooth mode.

and will this feature find it's way into webcam photobooth at some point?

Added an option to include the current printer settings when saving the photobooth settings to file. This makes it possible for a photo booth to use different printers or printer settings for each profile e.g. profile 1 might print a double strip of four photos on a dyesub printer which can cut 6x2 strips from 6x4 paper, profile 2 could use the same printer to print a 2x2 layout on 6x4 paper and profile 3 could print a single large photo on 6x9 paper using a different printer.

thanks...

Chris Breeze
April 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
The new clicker mode allows users or a photographer to decide when each photo is taken instead of the booth running a preset sequence taking each photo after a fixed countdown. With a Canon DSLR the photographer can take each photo by pressing the shutter release on the camera or by using a remote shutter release. Users could also use a remote shutter release connected to the camera or they could use a wireless remote or pushbutton connected to computer and programmed to send Ctrl+Z.

I'm planning to add the photo booth setup wizard and the option to save printer settings to Webcam Photobooth, PSRemote and NKRemote.

LorneChesal
April 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM
thanks for the reply.

BoothThis
April 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM
please implement these features in psremote.

"New Photobooth Setup Wizard which automatically creates all the screens and the print layout for common photobooth configurations.
Added an option to include the current printer settings when saving the photobooth settings to file. This makes it possible for a photo booth to use different printers or printer settings for each profile e.g. profile 1 might print a double strip of four photos on a dyesub printer which can cut 6x2 strips from 6x4 paper, profile 2 could use the same printer to print a 2x2 layout on 6x4 paper and profile 3 could print a single large photo on 6x9 paper using a different printer."

CheekyPix
April 14th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Clicking

Help > Contents

doesn't work

Chris Breeze
April 16th, 2012, 05:28 PM
The full release is now available for download. Please see the news page for details:
http://www.breezesys.com/news.htm

CheekyPix
April 17th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Chris

Did a job last night and had problems with the B&W version of the template, color images were fine.
Was using 2.4 beta, ive now downloaded 2.4 on a different pc and different camera and still getting same results.

The individual images are saved ok.

Ive got another similar template that is working fine, was wondering if it was because the individual images on the template go off outside its boundries.

Toni

http://cheekypix.com/gallery/temp/1.jpg

http://cheekypix.com/gallery/temp/2.jpg

Chris Breeze
April 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM
There does appear to be a problem with B&W photos which are rotated in the custom layout and overlap the edge of the page. I don't think anyone can have used this combination before otherwise it would have been reported earlier. I will look into the problem and fix it in the next update. In the meantime you could use the camera's monochrome picture styles for B&W e.g. Ctrl+F9 to select monochrome picture style and Ctrl+F4 to select the standard picture style.

CheekyPix
April 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Hi Chris

First time in 150+ templates that ive needed to go off the page so no desperate rush to fix it now that im aware of the problem.

Toni

jayredliner
April 28th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I updated and have had several problems:

1) All of my background images (ie: ready.jpg, taking.jpg etc...) have been deleted and replaced by the generic ones. They are gone. Nowhere on my hard drive do they exist.

2) Custom printing is not working. I will load my main profile which is 2 2x4 strips with 4 photos and room for text/logo at the bottom. No matter what I do the prints come out as 2 2x4's without logo space on the bottom. I cannot get it to print any other way.

3) "Photobooth Test Shot" no longer works. I hit the button for it, and I get the dialogue at the bottom that says the path where the 'photobooth test shot.jpg' is saved, however there is no file in that location. In fact, it doesn't save a file at all on my hard drive.

Thoughts?

jayredliner
April 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM
forgot to add to the above thread:

I have tried everything. Checked the profile, reset the custom print settings, checked my background.jpg file, deleted the profile and re-tried, it, uninstalled the program, re-installed the program, rebooted, updated Windows..etc, and I cannot get much to work..

Chris Breeze
April 28th, 2012, 09:38 AM
I updated and have had several problems:

1) All of my background images (ie: ready.jpg, taking.jpg etc...) have been deleted and replaced by the generic ones. They are gone. Nowhere on my hard drive do they exist.

2) Custom printing is not working. I will load my main profile which is 2 2x4 strips with 4 photos and room for text/logo at the bottom. No matter what I do the prints come out as 2 2x4's without logo space on the bottom. I cannot get it to print any other way.

3) "Photobooth Test Shot" no longer works. I hit the button for it, and I get the dialogue at the bottom that says the path where the 'photobooth test shot.jpg' is saved, however there is no file in that location. In fact, it doesn't save a file at all on my hard drive.

Thoughts?

re 1: You need to create your own folder for your photobooth images. If you modify one of the photobooth image folders in the installation folder rather than create your own copy there is a risk that it will be overwritten or lost when you install or uninstall the program

re 2: Please can you provide more details

re 3: This appears to be working correctly on my system. The test print is saved in the same folder as the images downloaded from the computer. Please check the download path is set correctly and that your login account has permission to write to it.

jayredliner
April 28th, 2012, 10:07 PM
re 1: You need to create your own folder for your photobooth images. If you modify one of the photobooth image folders in the installation folder rather than create your own copy there is a risk that it will be overwritten or lost when you install or uninstall the program

re 2: Please can you provide more details

re 3: This appears to be working correctly on my system. The test print is saved in the same folder as the images downloaded from the computer. Please check the download path is set correctly and that your login account has permission to write to it.

Thanks Chris.

1. Gotchya, I'll back it up next time round.

2. I reverted to the previous update (The Feb 2012 one). I then installed the new update over it again. I abandoned all of my previous profiles and created new ones in a new location, and now they work. I used new 'wizard' to start them off, then tweaked afterwards. I'm not 100% sure why the existing ones wouldn't work, but I'm guessing perhaps because they weren't made with the wizard.

3. Once I did step 2 above, this feature started working again.

Thanks for your help. Sorry, I realize these answers don't help you duplicate these problems.