PDA

View Full Version : G10, PSremote and live view in v2.2.2?

photo_ells
April 10th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Hi guys and hope you had a great Easter,

I know this has been covered before but I have just finished building my new booth and was kitting it out over the weekend when i came across the live view problem with the G10 using a studio strobe connected via hotshoe in manual mode.

I am using psremote 2.2.2 but getting dark liveview images for pics 2-4 and i am getting an over exposed live view before the firstshot.

I shoot against a black background and there is plenty of light from the modelling bulb to give a decent live view image (tried it on Tv mode and live view was fine)

I normallly use s5's using black background and same lighting setbup with no problems, but in this booth have gone with g10 as i have a couple laying about which i have got off ebay with having a new booth in mind.

Ideally i dont want to use the Tv mode as i prefer to shoot in manual so that i can control the fstop myself.

Thanks

Ells

Chris Breeze
April 10th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I've just tested it using the following settings with PSRemote v2.2.2 and a G10: Exposure mode=manual, Tv=1/200, Av=8, ISO=80, Interfit EXD200 flash connected using a hotshoe to PC cord adapter.
This works fine on my system - the live view images for all the shots are correctly exposed and the flash exposure can be controlled using the aperture and ISO settings on the camera and the power setting on the flash.

photo_ells
April 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hmm, not sure why it's not working on mine, it worked correctly after trying it in Tv mode and switching back to manual but when I restarted PSremote it went back to how it was with the dark live view. I am using pretty much the same settings as you other than the aperture at f5.6 and a lencarta flash head.

I'll do some more testing, do you think that as the system is configured with no one in front of the camera and only the black background that this throwing the AE off when someone does get in front off the camera for the sequence? That would explain the overexposed LV at first but would it cause the rest to be so under exposed in the LV? I know when this has happened with the S5 that the LV exposure is corrected after the picture is taken ready for the next shot (i.e this usually happens if someone gets out too early and the camera only sees black, then the next screen's LV is overexposed but corrects to proper expose for following LV after the photo with someone in frame)

The booth is packed away at the moment but i'll try with the camera and flash set up not inside the booth and see if I can reproduce what I was getting.

Thanks

Ells

photo_ells
April 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
It appears what I thought before about the black background and empty frame is correct.

I have just retested without the booth using just the camera, flash and laptop and the LV worked correctly in all the shots when set up in the office. However if I place black card a in front of the lens (not completely blocking it but about 3" away) to let the AE take a reading off the card (to simulate the black background in an enclosed booth) when I start the full screen photo booth the initial live view is over exposed (as expected as the reading is off the dark card), the remainder shots are then not corrected for the right exposure (as they are with the S5) but are compensated too much for the over exposure on the initial start and are under exposed for all the rest of the LV in current sequence and further ones n the current full screen session.

I'll have to either get someone in the booth when I start in full screen mode or try and do it myself with the touchscreen unless there is another suggested fix?

Thanks

Elliott

Chris Breeze
April 11th, 2012, 05:10 PM
There is a bug in the way live view works with the G9 and G10. PSRemote has a workaround which is to automatically update the live view AE after each shot and this should ensure the live view is correctly exposed.

I'm out of the office for the rest of the week but will try to reproduce the problem you've having when I get back next week.

jdorman
April 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM
PSRemote has a workaround which is to automatically update the live view AE after each shot and this should ensure the live view is correctly exposed.

Is this a feature in newer versions of PS Remote? I have 1.9 and when I run manual mode it's always dark on the 2-4 images, so I use TV instead. Works fine but just curious.

Chris Breeze
April 27th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Yes, a workaround for the G9 and G10 firmware bug was added in PSRemote v2.0 (released 10 November 2010).

photo_ells
May 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Hi Chris, just wondering if you managed to reproduce the problem with your G10? I have been getting round it by launching full screen mode whilst i'm in the booth (and making sure I'm not wearing a black shirt) and it seems to be better, but still not as good as the LV exposure I get from the S5.

Thanks

Elliott

Chris Breeze
May 14th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I can't reproduce this using my G10. When the exposure mode is set to manual and a hotshoe to PC sync adaptor is in the hotshoe the live view exposure is adjusted automatically.