PDA

View Full Version : Dye sub printer - speed, cost and cutting

Dani
April 22nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
Folks,
First, apologies if this has been addressed exhaustively or recently. I was not able to find these answers but may be looking in the wrong spots.

We are using the Sony UPC-CX1. Print time seems to be slow though I thought it was 13 seconds or so (maybe more like 16-21 sec since we use 4 by 8 paper). Haven't timed it.

Complaints from customers that it takes too long. If we did want to convert to a different dye sub, which is faster? We want to stick with our 4 by 8 inch paper. We like the look of the larger format and cut the strips for 2 by 8s. Our clients love them.

Also, I have heard there may be a dye sub that can cut the strips for you? I am not interested in the Tear and Share perforated paper. Our consumables would be through the roof.

Finally, with speed and ability to cut two factors we are interested in/concerned about, any thoughts on price/print costs? I've heard a HITI printer has excellent per print pricing but I don't know the model or any information.

Thanks much for any help,

Dani

alexsiskahn
April 23rd, 2012, 04:58 AM
the short answer is you aren't going to get anything better than what you got!

no other printer does 4x8 paper, NONE.

Your only other option would be to get 6x8 paper and make 3xstrips

The speed of any 6x8 print is going to be similar or SLOWER than what you are currently doing.
the upside is 4x8 media is soooo freaking expensive, 6x8 media will probably be similar or slightly more.

All the CUT printers only do 2x6 strips.

good luck.