PDA

View Full Version : White transparent overlay doesn't show up on live view but show on print.

Eddy
May 22nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
I have one photo booth profile with background and a green screen overlay. The overlay is the same size as the background and contains only a white logo on top right with the rest of overlay set as transparent. When I go into photo booth mode, the overlay doesn't show up in live view but it does when the photo is printed out.

This doesn't happen to my background profiles with black and gold color logo with transparent background. I did a trick to make the totally white logo appears on the live view by adding a few pixels of color (same with background image) to the overlay and this trick somehow make DSLR Remote Pro to pick up the white logo in live view.

May I know if any DSLR Remote Pro users had ever encountered this problem? Is this a bug?

Eddy

alexsiskahn
May 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
your description isn't very clear, please post this overlay png file.

Eddy
May 23rd, 2012, 04:37 AM
your description isn't very clear, please post this overlay png file.

Thanks for the reply, alexsiskahn!

Here's a quick mockup that I did to demonstrate the issue. I hope this will at least give a rough idea of what I mean by white logo with transparent background.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg856/scaled.php?server=856&filename=overlayissuereference.jpg&res=landing

Chris Breeze
May 23rd, 2012, 08:02 AM
Is the PNG file saved as 24-bit color plus 8-bit alpha channel? Please try changing one pixel so that it isn't pure white to ensure that it is saved as 24-bit color.

Eddy
May 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Is the PNG file saved as 24-bit color plus 8-bit alpha channel? Please try changing one pixel so that it isn't pure white to ensure that it is saved as 24-bit color.
Thanks Chris!

Yes, the overlay png is saved as PNG - 24 bit with transparency checked.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg809/scaled.php?server=809&filename=screenshot20120523at522.png&res=landing

I have another 7 overlays in other profiles and they're all displaying correctly in the live view. The only different between this problematic overlay is that the logo in those 7 overlays contains non-white pixels.

And yes, I've fixed that by changing some pixels on top left corner of the overlay to non-white color to match the color of the background so that they won't be visible when overlay is laid on top. This is the "trick" I mean in my original post.

I didn't see this kind of overlay issue in the forum search hence I post it for clarification. And now I know this is by design.

Chris Breeze
May 24th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Please can you send me a copy of the overlay file so that I can test it on my system? The 24-bit + 8-bit alpha channel requirement is due to limitations in the graphics library.

Eddy
May 28th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Hi Chris,

I've sent you a copy of the overlay file through support email as it contains our client's branding. I will be sharing the result from your test here so that the information will be available for other posters which might face the same problem. Thanks.

E

Chris Breeze
May 28th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for emailing the overlay file to me. I've tested it on my system and the problem appears to be with the graphics library. The library says it has loaded the image OK but the data is corrupted and can't be used. I'll report the bug to the author of the graphics library. You can workaround the problem by placing a colored pixel in a fully transparnt area of the image so that it doesn't show in the overlay.