PDA

View Full Version : Unable To Release AF Shutter Lock Error

rwhite
August 28th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I posted this error a couple months ago and a user suggested that I switch from Automatic to Manual focus on the lens. Well after numerous events I am still getting this error.

I am using a Nikon D5000 camera and the NKRemote software. It doesn't happen all the time. When it does happen I either have to hit the "enter" key or wait for the 5 seconds for the count down timer in the error box to complete.

With this error I cannot leave my photo booth unattended.

I could use some help diagnosing this problem. Is it the lighting in the booth? The camera? The software?
Any help is appreciated. I am beyond fustrated with the error.

Bob

Chris Breeze
August 30th, 2012, 07:49 AM
I've never seen this happen during the development and testing of NKRemote and so it's hard to know what might be causing it (other than the obvious problem of using AF and the camera being unable to focus). I will try running a continuous test with a D5000 to see whether I can reproduce the problem. What version of NKRemote and Windows are you running please? Also, what version of firmware does your camera have?

rwhite
August 31st, 2012, 01:52 PM
Chris

Thank you for the reply. I was able to track down the culprit that was causing the error. The lens I am using is a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G. After doing my tests I found that not only do you have to turn the AF to M (manual) on the lens and AF lock to (off) in the camera menu but you need to also turn the VR switch on the lens to (off). I had not messed with the VR on the lens in the past and after switching it to off I was able to get the software and camera to operate without the error. To validate my theory I switched the VR back on and bingo the error returned immediately. With the VR on the error is not all the time but in theory I think lighting and movement of the subject had something to do with it.

You probably have more ideas of why the VR on would cause the error.

In any case the problem is solved.

Thanks Chris for the great progamming and software.

Chris Breeze
September 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for posting details of the what was causing the problem. I don't have the 18-55mm lens and can't seem to reproduce the problem using a different lens (Nikkor 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6 G). It doesn't seem to make sense that turning VR on is causing the problem, but if turning VR off fixes the problem then it doesn't matter because you don't need VR when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

I don't know whether this only occurs with the D5000 and 18-55mm. You might have a faulty lens or the electrical contacts between the camera and lens may be dirty and causing problems.