PDA

View Full Version : Preview Delay Time

jfreeman1412
September 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Hey Chris or anyone else that may be able to help. It seems lately that the delay between when the picture gets taken to the time the preview of the pic shows up on the screen keeps getting longer. Right now there is about a 4.5 second delay (on the smallest/normal setting) between the picture being taken and the preview being shown. What determines that? I have turned the picture down to the smallest/normal setting and have had it at the largest setting. Smallest setting takes 4.5 seconds and the largest setting takes almost 11 seconds! This is running on a HP i3 with 4 gigs of ram. Any help would be appreciated.

jfreeman1412
September 27th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Anyone out there?

Chris Breeze
September 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Are you referring to the print preview or the preview that is displayed after each photo?
If it's the preview after each photo the time to display depends on the time it takes to download the photo to the PC and then to read the JPEG image and draw it on the screen. It's worth checking that the USB connection is USB 2.0. Sometimes Windows can get confused and use a USB 1.1 connection which is much slower.

jfreeman1412
September 27th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris. It is the preview time after the picture is taken. It is a usb 2.0. But I assume it is very dependent on the camera you use?

Chris Breeze
September 28th, 2012, 09:32 AM
It takes just over 1 second to display a preview image in photobooth mode on my dekstop system using a EOS 1100D (Rebel T3) set to large, fine JPEG and running DSLR Remote Pro for Windows v2.4.2.1. You can get an idea of whether the delay is caused by the USB transfer rate or reading and displaying the JPEGs by taking a few pictures from the main DSLR Remote Pro window and then using the prev/next buttons to step through them.

All recent cameras use USB 2.0. You have to go right back to the EOS 10D (approx 8 years) for USB 1.1.

jfreeman1412
September 28th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Right? I am using PS Remote with different canon cameras. One is a s5,s3 and a sx100.

Dani
September 29th, 2012, 01:45 AM
I thought I would offer a couple thoughts - wish others with more experience would do the same. Also, are you aware of the photoboothtalk.com forum? Sometimes I feel that my questions are answered there more quickly. I would try a post there.

First, Chris, when you say: "You can get an idea of whether the delay is caused by the USB transfer rate or reading and displaying the JPEGs by taking a few pictures from the main DSLR Remote Pro window and then using the prev/next buttons to step through them", how do you step through the photos this way? Are you talking about taking photos as test shots?

jfreeman: What I don't understand is why this problem is getting worse....it sounds like the delay has increased? Have you tried testing the 3 different camera delay times? Are they different?

We use S5 in our booths, and we had some really bad delay problems just like you describe, but we corrected that with selecting a smaller file size like you have done.

It may be possible that you need to clean up temporary files between events using something like ATFcleaner? This was suggested to me from the photoboothtalk.com forum on a similar issue....

Please let us know what you figure out. Hopefully others with knowledge will help you.

jfreeman1412
October 1st, 2012, 03:03 AM
Thank you Dani and Chris