PDA

View Full Version : renaming 20D raw files

htbyron
January 21st, 2005, 01:23 AM
Chris: Thanks for this great forum -- much better interface than yahoo groups & hopefully easier for everyone to use.

OK, so I have a question, too. I used to use batch rename on my DRebel pics using the %f image format token, which worked fine distinguishing between CRW raw files & jpegs. But my new 20D (like the 1DII) instead uses the CR2 extension for raw files. So BB no longer distinguishes between raw & jpg files when renaming. Is this something that has been fixed in BBPro (my eval period has expired & it won't let me use that function)? It would be nice if BB would recognize the new CR2 format as a raw file & give it a different tag in the renaming process than jpgs. If it won't, then I guess I'll change my renaming conventions going forward. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,
Tom

Chris Breeze
January 21st, 2005, 07:15 AM
I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is. Cameras which support the CRW raw format name JPEGs as IMG_nnnn.JPG and raw files as CRW_nnnn.CRW. The 20D names both raw files and JPEGs as IMG_nnnn.JPG/CR2. In fact they also have the daft naming convention of changing the first character of the filename to _ if the picture is shot using AdobeRGB, but that's probably best ignored.
%f could give CR2 for 20D raw files and IMG for JPEGs, but I don't really like the idea of having the '2' because it makes the image number harder to read. Maybe it would be better to use "RAW" instead.

MikeD
February 8th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the post and reply as I had the same problem and thought it was a bug with bb showing up both the raw and .jpg files in the same place with same name. Not sure I fully understood Chris's reply and the reason why after converting a .crw file to .jpg it still comes out in the browser 'on top' of each other so you can't select each separately. Seem to recall that I changed the name of the .jpg's manually to something slightly different as there were only a few that I needed to be in the same directory as the .crw's.

Chris Breeze
February 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
BB has the ability to link raw+JPEGs files and treat them as a pair. This is convenient when handling files which were shot as raw+JPEG in the camera. You can turn this linking off in BB's preferences under the image display tab.