PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Remote Pro Freezes After System Update

mikedavis
October 20th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hi Chris and community. After a recent system update I have had issues on 2 of my past 3 jobs. Users are in the booth and the countdown screen will freeze and computer needs to be restarted because program is stuck. One time there was a camera not connected message but it may have been due to crazy kids shaking the booth. My setups use 64 bit windows 7, elo touch screen, studio strobe, t3 & t2i, hiti 510, rocket fish usb hub. I did read some information about usb hubs but Im skeptical about that causing my problems because they worked fine on 50+ jobs including one job that was 676 sessions in a weekend with no issues. Is it system update issues, usb hub, too many pictures stored on my computer, dust in a usb connection? I was using 2.3.2 and installed the most current update of DSLR remote pro today.

Chris Breeze
October 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM
I think it is unlikely that a Windows update caused problems. We very occasionally get reports of problems with antivirus updates or Windows updates preventing the program from running altogether (usually due to security updates interferring with the software protection), but haven't had any reports of other problems related to a Windows update.

It's unlikely that the number of photos stored on the computer is a problem unless the hard disk is completely full. You might also get performance issues if thousands of images are stored in the same folder.

The most likely cause is hardware e.g. the camera or the USB connection. You can also get problems related to the power supply. Please see FAQ 2 on this page for suggestions:
http://www.breezesys.com/articles/photobooth8.htm

mikedavis
October 22nd, 2012, 08:58 PM
What would cause the software to freeze up and not allow the Esc. function to exit full screen photo booth. I have to restart the computer from the start menu. This has only happened to one of my 3 booths. I will try replacing my surge protector with a higher quality one and clean all usb fittings with air. Its a head scratcher.

Chris Breeze
October 23rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
One possible reason for the software not responding to Esc and other keyboard commands is because it has lost input focus. If this the case you should be able to click the mouse on the photobooth window to restore input focus and it should then respond to keyboard commands again. The most likely cause of loss of input focus is the printer driver displaying a status window during printing as this can grab the input focus when displayed but fail to return it to the correct window when it closes.

Problems with the USB connection between the camera and computer might cause the software to freeze but are more likely to cause it to crash. If the software freezes the live view won't be updated whereas if the software loses input focus the live view will continue to run.